Current Year: 2379
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
by Kejal Buris Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 am

» *pokes the fleet*
by Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
by Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
by Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
by Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
by Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
by Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
by Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
by Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

» Message to all of Aurora Fleet
by Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 am

Affiliates

Share | 
 

 Mission 4: Behind the Mask

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jiseth
Lieutenant
Lieutenant


Medal of Valor
Posting Excellence
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Flight
Order of the Mek'Leth
1 Year Service
Post of the Month - Shore Leave
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Founding Member
Posts : 557
Join date : 2014-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:50 pm

[Planetside]

How long she had been waiting seemed like forever. The application had already been filled out and submitted. Partially out of spite. There were no ion storms or other forms of signal loss. Maybe Zero was just busy.

Jiseth seemed caught between two embarrassments. The first in the possibility of not being able to participate in the race and getting chastised for the what-if's of the event. A green splattered bundle of crushed metal on fire would probably not go well with the Augment doctor. The second was she participated and had not told her of it. That would perhaps be worse.

Sitting there by herself on a rather comfortable couch in the lobby, staring at the race demonstrators that sat like posed mannequins in a fashion show, there was only one little bit to do. She made a promise. No secrets.

=/\= Jiseth to Zero... Try to find some nonuniform formal attire for the ceremony after I win the race here. =/\=

_______________________________


Last edited by Jiseth on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NPC



Post of the Month - Mission
Posts : 296
Join date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:51 pm



President Anim Gorova



[Office of the President]

"Mr. Sheridan, good to meet you," Gorova said, giving his most campaign-winning smile.  "Your captain and first officer are currently enjoying the sights of our little planet, here."  He moved around the desk, leaning casually against the edge of it.  "I'll get right to the point, Mr. Sheridan.  Our computers have noticed a heavy upsurge of scanner and sensor activity from your ship.  Is there anything we can help you with, help you find?  If you'd like, we can open our informational databanks to you."
Back to top Go down
Andrew Sheridan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Post of the Month - Mission
Participated in the first mission Participated in the first mission
Posts : 180
Join date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Bridge

"That is very kind of you to offer, Mr. President. I confess to having a great deal of interest in temporal mechanics, and when one of my experiments picked up a temporal phase shift from beneath your planet surface - I was duty bound to explore it. You will find such things are necessary under the Federation Temporal Mandate for Starfleet. All Starfleet vessels are to investigate any temporal anomaly not previously encountered, and in many cases, we are duty bound to even continuing examining the ones we have encountered before," Andrew explained to the leader of the world below.

Before he went on...gazing directly into the eyes of the President; Andrew paused just long enough for the leader to understand his next words. "It is a very curious network that, if I were to hazard a guess, is a link of caves beneath your surface. Starfleet and Federation scientists who did the original surveys of your world did not find this before. Naturally, we are curious beyond our mere mandate to explore such phenomenon. Perhaps you can explain more, Sir."

His tone showed only respect and curiosity the entire time.

Lieutenant Sheridan deliberately left out any desire for a link to their world's database. Any link might just work two ways, and that was not something he needed at the moment.

_______________________________

For The Future...
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 678
Join date : 2014-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:


Julia looked tp her Captain. "Aye Sir." She said with a duller feel to her voice. "Curiosity got the best of me Sir." Julia continued to scan the area but the readings were still inconclusive. Then a faint bleep hit her tricorder. "Captain, I'm detecting a power spruce. It's faint but its definitely there."

[Undercity]

Having just opened his mouth to admonish (however gently) Ensign Rellek about rushing ahead into a possibly dangerous situation, Gabe clicked it shut as his wife did just that same thing. Not that he didn't share Julia's excitement, or desire to see the helpless ones like Hope taken care of, but...protocol was protocol because it kept people alive.

He gave Julia a sympathetic look, one which turned to curiosity as she mentioned the power source. "I'm readin' it, too," he said, making note of it on the map that the Phoenix had sent. Gabe glanced over to the other Romulan in their little group. "Saf. In your opinion, is it safe to continue on deeper into the area?"

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Chira Abols
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class


Most Loveable
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 276
Join date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

A flicker of surprise crossed Zero's face as Chira asked for her opinion. She hadn't been ready for that, hadn't been expecting it. Thankfully, her advanced intellect helped her to catch up without looking like a fish stranded on land for too long.

She cleared her throat, hoping that her slip up had gone unnoticed. "I would suggest the use of an alpha-wave inducer for a few nights in order to acclimatise the body to the new schedule of the ship."

[Planetside - Beach Cabana]

Jamie's eyes widened a bit as Zero laid out her prescription for his sleepless nights. "Alpha-wave..." he said, looking slightly startled. Chira's smile was warm, and she gave a nod to Zero. "Possible, yes. Not something to completely disregard. However," she said, sipping her juice, "it might just be something behavioral. Is this your first time in deep space on a long-range assignment?"

Reyes nodded. "Yes, ma'am. I just got assigned to the Phoenix. She's a fine ship and all, but..." He sighed, running his hand through his dark hair. "I...I kind of expected to be assigned to the Nautilus, to be honest. That...that's where..." Reyes reached out and plucked a drink off a passing tray, gulping it down. "That's where my girlfriend got assigned. We were steady at the Academy."

Jiseth wrote:
=/\= Jiseth to Zero... Try to find some nonuniform formal attire for the ceremony after I with the race here. =/\=

Chira quirked an eyebrow at the incoming hail. "If you need to take that, honey, go right ahead." She turned back to Reyes. "It can be hard," she nodded. "Especially on latter-day Academy romances."

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
NPC



Post of the Month - Mission
Posts : 296
Join date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:02 pm


President Anim Gorova

Andrew Sheridan wrote:


"That is very kind of you to offer, Mr. President.  I confess to having a great deal of interest in temporal mechanics, and when one of my experiments picked up a temporal phase shift from beneath your planet surface - I was duty bound to explore it.  You will find such things are necessary under the Federation Temporal Mandate for Starfleet.  All Starfleet vessels are to investigate any temporal anomaly not previously encountered, and in many cases, we are duty bound to even continuing examining the ones we have encountered before," Andrew explained to the leader of the world below.

Before he went on...gazing directly into the eyes of the President; Andrew paused just long enough for the leader to understand his next words.  "It is a very curious network that, if I were to hazard a guess, is a link of caves beneath your surface.  Starfleet and Federation scientists who did the original surveys of your world did not find this before.  Naturally, we are curious beyond our mere mandate to explore such phenomenon.  Perhaps you can explain more, Sir."

His tone showed only respect and curiosity the entire time.

Lieutenant Sheridan deliberately left out any desire for a link to their world's database.  Any link might just work two ways, and that was not something he needed at the moment.

Gorova's eyebrows raised considerably as Sheridan mentioned the caverns.  Damn you all for that, anyway, he thought, keeping his face unreadable other than the feigned confusion.  "I...see.  Undoubtedly something for my science  ministers to research, Mr. Sheridan.  As for me...I am a politician, not a scientist.  Well," he said, flicking at a piece of non-existent dust on his collar.  "It sounds as if you have a lot of work to do, so do not let me keep you from it.  If you're sure you don't wish to swap information, I suppose that will be all."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Star Cross
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Posts : 389
Join date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:


[Undercity]

Having just opened his mouth to admonish (however gently) Ensign Rellek about rushing ahead into a possibly dangerous situation, Gabe clicked it shut as his wife did just that same thing.  Not that he didn't share Julia's excitement, or desire to see the helpless ones like Hope taken care of, but...protocol was protocol because it kept people alive.

He gave Julia a sympathetic look, one which turned to curiosity as she mentioned the power source.  "I'm readin' it, too," he said, making note of it on the map that the Phoenix had sent.  Gabe glanced over to the other Romulan in their little group.  "Saf.  In your opinion, is it safe to continue on deeper into the area?"

[Undercity]

Julia saw the look on Gabe's face and her Captain's feedback and she knew she had jumped the gun. Reel it in Julia. This isn't a research mission. It could be dangerous. Don't repeat the mistake you made on that geology expedition. Julia thought as she continued to scan the caverns. And the cavern's began to reveal themselves to her. The map slowly began to manifest on her tricorder and began to validate the scans the ship had sent.

_______________________________

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
— Dr. Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade


Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 886
Join date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 am

Jiseth wrote:
=/\= Jiseth to Zero... Try to find some nonuniform formal attire for the ceremony after I with the race here. =/\=
Chira Abols wrote:

[Planetside - Beach Cabana]

Jamie's eyes widened a bit as Zero laid out her prescription for his sleepless nights.  "Alpha-wave..." he said, looking slightly startled.  Chira's smile was warm, and she gave a nod to Zero.  "Possible, yes.  Not something to completely disregard.  However," she said, sipping her juice, "it might just be something behavioral.  Is this your first time in deep space on a long-range assignment?"

Reyes nodded.  "Yes, ma'am.  I just got assigned to the Phoenix.  She's a fine ship and all, but..."  He sighed, running his hand through his dark hair.  "I...I kind of expected to be assigned to the Nautilus, to be honest.  That...that's where..."  Reyes reached out and plucked a drink off a passing tray, gulping it down.  "That's where my girlfriend got assigned.  We were steady at the Academy."

Chira quirked an eyebrow at the incoming hail.  "If you need to take that, honey, go right ahead."  She turned back to Reyes.  "It can be hard," she nodded.  "Especially on latter-day Academy romances."

[Planetside - Cabana]

Zero narrowed her eyes slightly at the young officer, about to tell him that if that was the underlying problem to all of this, then he needed to get his emotional state under control and refrain from letting them rule his mind, but thankfully (for the Ensign) Chira interjected before the Augment could. The narrowed eyes turned to an expression of faint bewilderment. The way to deal with personnel issues was to coddle them? That didn't make much sense to her.

The hail from Jiseth provided a distraction from listening in on the counsellor and her patient and Zero turned away slightly to respond to it. "Jiseth, I no longer own such attire as you suggest. The best I will be able to do is my formal uniform." She paused a moment, letting her mind catch up with the rest of the message. "I wish you good hunting for the race. Please ensure that you do not require my professional services by the end of it."

_______________________________

Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve."
Back to top Go down
Jiseth
Lieutenant
Lieutenant


Medal of Valor
Posting Excellence
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Flight
Order of the Mek'Leth
1 Year Service
Post of the Month - Shore Leave
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Founding Member
Posts : 557
Join date : 2014-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 am

[Planetside]

=/\= Thanks, e'lev. =/\=

That went... smoothly.

Looking down to the PADD-like device she had been given, Jiseth scrolled through the various histories of racers and their achievements which set a surprisingly exciting introduction to the rules themselves. It reminded her of the hoverbike races on Romulus or the shuttle versions where an entire solar system could be a track.

Finally she found a place she could get lost in. The reals of footage, in particular crashes, were of keen interest. So much so that she had not noticed the small crowd gathered around her. Apparently her ears were quite the sight. Jiseth did notice a sudden hush which diverted her attention away from the screen.

Looking up, her gaze was met by that of a man who barely stood taller than the Romulan did sitting. His spectacles were thick, his facial hair thin above the lip and his attire seemed to be that of a mechanic. How long some of the oil stains had been on his clothing she could not even guess. He stared at her for a moment and then his lips drew away to a wide smile. There were a few chuckles as well from around them as Jiseth realized that she was surrounded by people.

"So we hear you're some kind of pilot."

"I suppose..."

"Well, all the major sponsors have already taken their usual favorites. Which means you're out of luck."

"How unfortunate..."

"Oh! Don't worry, I think we can help each other, stranger! See, we have a racer, but we don't want just anyone flying it. Took a lot of work to make it. Compared to the star ships you're used to, this will be a piece of cake! A surefire win! And we can split the reward money. 50/50 minus rental and maintenance costs-"

"You can keep the rewards."

"Wait, seriously? I'm not sure if you're being generous or stupid."

"Your money is no good where I'm from. So it is a deal then?"

"Heh, absolutely!"

Jiseth stood and shook the man's hand before being pulled and pushed amid the small joyous crowd that now whisked her away. At the very least she was glad they knew nothing about the reputation her species had. Perhaps build a new one here.

_______________________________
Back to top Go down
Derek Black
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer


Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Andrew Sheridan wrote:
Bridge

"Ensign Walking Proud, the very moment you have the tunnels figured out for some kind of working map; have it sent to the Captain's PaDD.  If it can help them at all; that would be awesome.  Chief Black, have two runabouts on standby for recovery into and out of hot zones.  Transporters may be working now, but lets make sure we are prepared.  Have two Security personnel assigned to aid just in case.  Mr. Keldar, I want a more focused scan of the area around the planet.  We don't need any surprises.  If they become angry and irrational at our discovery; then I want us to be ready to deal with any threat to this ship."  Andrew paused for effect before continuing, "Understood, Companions?"

[Bridge]

"Aye sir." Derek replied, returning to the helm and sending notice to Flight Control. "Shuttlecraft Diogenes and Cratylus will be ready for launch in ten minutes. The runabout Monongahela is being reconfigured for personnel transport, Estimated completion in one hour."

Andrew Sheridan wrote:
Bridge

=/\= Condition Yellow, all hands to battle stations.  Yellow alert, all hands to battle stations, =/\= he ordered over the comm system, and immediately the computer began sending out the klaxon alarm for the appropriate new alert status.  "Tactical, shields up and weapons on full standby.  Mr. Black, it appears our friends below have fighters to add to their aid.  I want all shuttles capable of combating such to be ready for countering and defending."


"Sir, everyone I've got on the flight lines are prepping evac shuttles and the runabout." Derek warned, checking on the status board. "It'll be twenty minutes before I can have Bruegel and Lin ready for combat deployment from the upper shuttlebay."

As Sheridan began his verbal intercourse with the president, Derek studied the tactical capabilities of the fighters they might eventually have to face. Although the planet's inhabitants were warp capable, they had only recently begun to outfit their spacefaring vessels with the engines. The Phoenix could easily outrun any challenge.

On the other hand, they had over 400 crew still on the surface, blissfully enjoying their shore leave. Beaming them all back up would attract too much attention, and their transport shuttlecraft were easily outmatched by the superior atmospheric fighters. Even if they managed to avoid the fighters, there was still the issue with planetary-based defenses.

Limited by both available equipment and a shortage of manpower, Derek began working on an alternate option for Sheridan to consider. With all their transporters running at maximum capacity, it'd take thirty-four minutes to retrieve their crew from the surface. They could shorten that time using all of their transporter equipped shuttlecraft to twenty-two minutes. If they began to recall one of the watches early under the pretense of a shift change, that would drop it down to ten minutes and change, when push really came to shove.

Marking down his calculations onto a PADD, Derek waited for Sheridan to finish his conversation. If the lieutenant kept challenging the President, it wouldn't really matter. They couldn't transport through shields. Turning to face the conn, Derek made sure he was out of view before signalling Sheridan. Tone it down.

_______________________________
Back to top Go down
NPC



Post of the Month - Mission
Posts : 296
Join date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:52 pm


SCPO Sophie Callan

[USS Phoenix - Main Engineering]

Sophie couldn't believe what she was reading.

Just seconds before, she'd been moving on auto-pilot, wondering if she could duck out of Engineering and steal Andrew away for a trip down to the surface.  From all reports, it was pretty damn nice down there.

And now...this.  "Get a quarantine up," she said, calling over her shoulder to one of the techs.  Petty Officer McAfee was a software and systems specialist, and he nodded quickly, his fingers pounding away at the controls.  "Dunno where it's come from, ma'am, unless - hold on...look at this!"

Sophie rushed over to the screen, cocking an eyebrow.  "Huh.  Hold on."

=^="Engineering to Bridge...Andrew, we've just been attacked by a malicious code.  Something tried to shut down the core, but we have it stopped.  It looks like it's set to attack information systems, too!  You need to lock out the main computer!"=^=

_______________________________
Back to top Go down
Chira Abols
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class


Most Loveable
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 276
Join date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

Zero narrowed her eyes slightly at the young officer, about to tell him that if that was the underlying problem to all of this, then he needed to get his emotional state under control and refrain from letting them rule his mind, but thankfully (for the Ensign) Chira interjected before the Augment could.  The narrowed eyes turned to an expression of faint bewilderment.  The way to deal with personnel issues was to coddle them?  That didn't make much sense to her.

The hail from Jiseth provided a distraction from listening in on the counsellor and her patient and Zero turned away slightly to respond to it.  "Jiseth, I no longer own such attire as you suggest.  The best I will be able to do is my formal uniform."  She paused a moment, letting her mind catch up with the rest of the message.  "I wish you good hunting for the race.  Please ensure that you do not require my professional services by the end of it."

[Planetside - Cabana]

Services...? What in the world was Zero talking to Jiseth about? Chira assumed that it was best she probably didn't know. The way things were between those too of late...she assumed that she'd be finding out before too long.

"It can be a hell of a thing, the distance," she said, turning back to Reyes. "What's important, Jamie, is that you keep in mind the fact that the end of your old life was a prelude to your new one. Not to say that old attachments...and relationships...aren't important, but...this is the grandest adventure of our lives."

She finished off her juice, sliding the empty glass toward the barkeep. "I want you to stop in my office three times a week, starting off. Of course, you know where to find me any other time. Right now, though? My prescription is..." she said, grinning and winking at the young man, "...to enjoy your shore leave."

Once Reyes left, Chira steepled her fingers, looking at Zero over the tips with a faintly-amused air. "Your solution caused Reyes stress. Can you tell me why you think that might be, Zero?"

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 678
Join date : 2014-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:52 pm

[Planet - Undercity]

Continuing to take scans, Gabriel was glad for the rudimentary map that the Bridge had sent down to them. Their initial thoughts appeared to have been correct - something in the rock itself was not conducive to a good and proper reading. What he couldn't see with his equipment, however, was readily available for the eyes.

The place was a hovel, no other way about it. It seemed like the rows of ramshackle housing went on into the darkness, a tenebrous blackness dispelled only by the flicker of torchlight. People dwelt in the shadows, their frightened faces white and pale and grubby and long ago having forgotten what it felt like to hope.

"God damn," Gabriel breathed, as a small band of begging urchins moved closer to them. "We have to get these people out of here. Gotta get them some help."

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Star Cross
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Posts : 389
Join date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:04 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
[Planet - Undercity]

Continuing to take scans, Gabriel was glad for the rudimentary map that the Bridge had sent down to them.  Their initial thoughts appeared to have been correct - something in the rock itself was not conducive to a good and proper reading.  What he couldn't see with his equipment, however, was readily available for the eyes.

The place was a hovel, no other way about it.  It seemed like the rows of ramshackle housing went on into the darkness, a tenebrous blackness dispelled only by the flicker of torchlight.  People dwelt in the shadows, their frightened faces white and pale and grubby and long ago having forgotten what it felt like to hope.

"God damn," Gabriel breathed, as a small band of begging urchins moved closer to them.  "We have to get these people out of here.  Gotta get them some help."

Julia stood in awe of what she was seeing. At that moment words escaped her. Just focus on your work. Julia squeezed Hopes hand slightly tighter. Her heart sank for Hope. Julia then turned to address Gabe. "Aye sir. I'm set to continuous scans. But I can tell you one thing now. I'm picking up at least 1,000 life signs within approximately 1 kilometer, sir."

_______________________________

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
— Dr. Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Alexander Wu
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class


Completed Plot and Bio Page
Posts : 36
Join date : 2014-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:22 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
[Planet - Undercity]

Continuing to take scans, Gabriel was glad for the rudimentary map that the Bridge had sent down to them.  Their initial thoughts appeared to have been correct - something in the rock itself was not conducive to a good and proper reading.  What he couldn't see with his equipment, however, was readily available for the eyes.

The place was a hovel, no other way about it.  It seemed like the rows of ramshackle housing went on into the darkness, a tenebrous blackness dispelled only by the flicker of torchlight.  People dwelt in the shadows, their frightened faces white and pale and grubby and long ago having forgotten what it felt like to hope.

"God damn," Gabriel breathed, as a small band of begging urchins moved closer to them.  "We have to get these people out of here.  Gotta get them some help."

[Planetside]

Before they breached the perimeter, Alex had injected himself and Safefta with the metabolic enhancer that had been sent with their supply pack. It had rapidly sobered both of them, although it did have the unpleasant side-effect of increasing their hunger. I don't have much of an appetite right now anyways, Alex considered, watching the children approach. They were much in the same case as Hope, some even more ragged.

"Commander, before we do anything rash," Alex warned quietly, knowing that they would soon attract much more than the children's attention, "We need more information. Who are these people, and why are they here?" He glanced over at Hope, and the woman's hand she was grasping. "Hope," Alex spoke to the girl directly for the first time, kneeling down to her level, "Can you take us to where you and your mother live?"

_______________________________
Back to top Go down
NPC



Post of the Month - Mission
Posts : 296
Join date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:53 am

[quote="Alexander Wu"]

[Undercity]

Hope seemed to have relaxed a lot now that she was back in the Undercity, the fear of being caught topside no longer worrying her. She tilted her head to one side, listening to the man who had crouched down to talk to her. She nodded to him and, still holding Julia's hand, lead them further into the city.

There was surprisingly little in material waste in the streets as Hope made her way through them, testament to a society that couldn't afford to throw anything away. The smell of humanoid waste, however, was very present.

She pushed open the door into one of the falling-down buildings, walking into a single-room home not even big enough to accommodate all of the Starfleet personnel standing up. There was a single bedroll, carefully made up with a blanket that was more hole than blanket. The only piece of furniture in the room was a low stool, sat next to a blackened patch of the dirt floor.
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade


Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 886
Join date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 am

Chira Abols wrote:

She finished off her juice, sliding the empty glass toward the barkeep. "I want you to stop in my office three times a week, starting off. Of course, you know where to find me any other time. Right now, though? My prescription is..." she said, grinning and winking at the young man, "...to enjoy your shore leave."

Once Reyes left, Chira steepled her fingers, looking at Zero over the tips with a faintly-amused air. "Your solution caused Reyes stress. Can you tell me why you think that might be, Zero?"

[Planetside -Cabana]

With Chira's question drawing Zero's attention back to the counsellor, Zero raised one pale eyebrow, thinking about the question. It was an interesting proposition, certainly. She had often wondered why her propositions made people uncomfortable but, more often than not, something more interesting came and occupied her attentions

"I have often noticed that many people are simply uncomfortable with my presence, bjt perhaps it is also the fact that many are not, in fact, seeking medical treatment. They wish for sympathy."

_______________________________

Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve."
Back to top Go down
Chira Abols
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class


Most Loveable
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 276
Join date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 am

Zero Alpha wrote:


With Chira's question drawing Zero's attention back to the counsellor, Zero raised one pale eyebrow, thinking about the question.  It was an interesting proposition, certainly.  She had often wondered why her propositions made people uncomfortable but, more often than not, something more interesting came and occupied her attentions

"I have often noticed that many people are simply uncomfortable with my presence, bjt perhaps it is also the fact that many are not, in fact, seeking medical treatment.  They wish for sympathy."

[Planetside - Cabana]

As with most things, Zero was literally correct in her interpretation. It was finding that narrow space between the letter and the spirit that was the catching point, though. A small gulf, but one that Chira hoped to help her bridge.

"Sympathy..." she said, tapping her lower lip in thought, "may be too loaded a word to use. People don't want their doctors to treat them like a problem to be solved. That's one of the reasons that computers haven't fully replaced us." Chira smiled softly at Zero, lightly touching her hand. "It's possible to be completely correct in a diagnosis, like the thing with the wave-inducer, but go about it in the wrong way. Reyes didn't want to feel like someone stamped in an assembly line. He just...wanted to talk to someone."

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade


Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 886
Join date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Chira Abols wrote:

[Planetside - Cabana]

As with most things, Zero was literally correct in her interpretation.  It was finding that narrow space between the letter and the spirit that was the catching point, though.  A small gulf, but one that Chira hoped to help her bridge.

"Sympathy..." she said, tapping her lower lip in thought, "may be too loaded a word to use.  People don't want their doctors to treat them like a problem to be solved.  That's one of the reasons that computers haven't fully replaced us."  Chira smiled softly at Zero, lightly touching her hand.  "It's possible to be completely correct in a diagnosis, like the thing with the wave-inducer, but go about it in the wrong way.  Reyes didn't want to feel like someone stamped in an assembly line.  He just...wanted to talk to someone."

[Planetside - Cabana]

Zero's pale eyebrows knitted together in an expression of concentration as she tried to make sense of what Chira had just told her, comparing it against various files in her memory. She closed her right eye, something that she generally only did when the problem was a particularly complex one.

"I was... neglecting his emotional wellbeing in favour of his physical health?" she asked tentatively.

_______________________________

Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"While physics and mathematics may tell us how the universe began, they are not much use in predicting human behavior because there are far too many equations to solve."
Back to top Go down
Chira Abols
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class


Most Loveable
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 276
Join date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:38 am

Zero Alpha wrote:


Zero's pale eyebrows knitted together in an expression of concentration as she tried to make sense of what Chira had just told her, comparing it against various files in her memory.  She closed her right eye, something that she  generally only did when the problem was a particularly complex one.

"I was... neglecting his emotional wellbeing in favour of his physical health?" she asked tentatively.

Shrugging, Chira nodded. "That's one way to put it, though I'd not use the term 'neglect', since it has such connotations in our practice. But, yes...there are many facets to what we do, even if yours is a more literal and hands-on kind of medicine than mine. It's all a part of one whole, though."

She looked around at the various people milling about - children playing, laughing with their parents and gangs of friends. "Physical aspects, like the Andorian shingles or a broken collar. They are specific, they have a treatment, and when the treatment is applied, the ailment is finished. But the mind? That's a different story." Chira laid her hand over Zero's, her fawn-brown eyes sympathetic and smiling. "A doctor isn't a counselor, nor vice versa. But we both have roles that overlap. A patient needs to know that we care about them, them as a person, and that we're not just hypos wit legs."

_______________________________

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Andrew Sheridan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Post of the Month - Mission
Participated in the first mission Participated in the first mission
Posts : 180
Join date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Bridge

The call from his beloved down in Engineering made Andrew Sheridan jump into action immediately. Though he was currently in command of the ship; this was something he could not simply order the person at Ops to do. Swiftly, he practically pounced towards the Ops station with his heart racing.

"Move over, Mr. Keldar," Andrew ordered firmly...his voice low and dangerous. The young Ferengi moved without a word, and Andrew took his old seat back...his fingers dancing over the console with a determined purpose.

He knew all eyes on the Bridge were upon him, but he shut out the stares as he worked feverishly to shut out the malicious attack from the planetary government below. As there had been no exchange of information...the logical way to get such a program into the ship's systems had to come from when the President called. That alone was enough to tell him the President knew of the attack, and very likely ordered it. Thus, Andrew began with the first affected system and the communication system. On the one side where the core had been attacked; Andrew began to back trace the current problem. At the same time, he changed the frequency of the transmission codes the cruiser used to receive any communication. The new frequency he gave a triple binary encoding to be altered every 13.8 seconds. The randomness of the time sequence for changing would keep any further attacks from coming in. With the communication area now sealed off; the second trace worked from there to find the program responsible.

It didn't take long, but it wasn't good either. Already the ship's tactical power was under attack, and so was the technical schematic of the ship. Fortunately, with the entry to the program closed...whatever the program stole was now securely kept at bay from being sent back. The young Ops officer soon had the tactical power of the ship secured, and then locked out the schematics. Just then, the program attempted to slip away towards the environmental systems. Andrew, however, wasn't having it.

Knowing well the paths to the ship's various systems better than the intruder program; Lieutenant Sheridan took three backdoors, and then intercepted the invasion. A moment later, caught and unable to slip away as Andrew used a set of algorithms to net the invader; the young Second Officer put the program under quarantine. Once that was accomplished - it was only a matter of destroying it, and the Starfleet computer defense soon took care of exactly that.

All of this took place in the matter of just over six minutes, but to Andrew those were some very long minutes. Taking a steadying breath...Andrew rose up with eyes narrowed furiously at the planet on the screen. Attacking a Federation starship was grounds for immediate reaction, but he had things to consider. The government was at fault...the people might not be. He allowed Mr. Keldar to take back his seat as he made his way back over to the center chair. Seated again...Andrew continued to glare at the planet.

=/\= All hands, condition red. I repeat, all hands to red alert...battle stations, =/\= he ordered over the comm. "Ops, hail the Captain on the new frequency. Do not change the parameters of the new security settings. Keep an eye on any attempts to further breech our systems.

Mr. Keldar nodded, and Andrew was soon hailing the Captain on the new coded frequency. =/\= PHOENIX to Captain, the President just had a very nasty surprise sent to the ship's systems. Nearly shut down the core, and just about took out the defenses and stole the schematics of the ship. All attacks have been dealt with, and the program has been purged. Current status at red alert. =/\=

_______________________________

For The Future...
Back to top Go down
Derek Black
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer


Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Andrew Sheridan wrote:
Bridge

The call from his beloved down in Engineering made Andrew Sheridan jump into action immediately.  Though he was currently in command of the ship; this was something he could not simply order the person at Ops to do.  Swiftly, he practically pounced towards the Ops station with his heart racing.

"Move over, Mr. Keldar," Andrew ordered firmly...his voice low and dangerous.  The young Ferengi moved without a word, and Andrew took his old seat back...his fingers dancing over the console with a determined purpose.

He knew all eyes on the Bridge were upon him, but he shut out the stares as he worked feverishly to shut out the malicious attack from the planetary government below.  As there had been no exchange of information...the logical way to get such a program into the ship's systems had to come from when the President called.  That alone was enough to tell him the President knew of the attack, and very likely ordered it.  Thus, Andrew began with the first affected system and the communication system.  On the one side where the core had been attacked; Andrew began to back trace the current problem.  At the same time, he changed the frequency of the transmission codes the cruiser used to receive any communication.  The new frequency he gave a triple binary encoding to be altered every 13.8 seconds.  The randomness of the time sequence for changing would keep any further attacks from coming in.  With the communication area now sealed off; the second trace worked from there to find the program responsible.

It didn't take long, but it wasn't good either.  Already the ship's tactical power was under attack, and so was the technical schematic of the ship.  Fortunately, with the entry to the program closed...whatever the program stole was now securely kept at bay from being sent back.  The young Ops officer soon had the tactical power of the ship secured, and then locked out the schematics.  Just then, the program attempted to slip away towards the environmental systems.  Andrew, however, wasn't having it.

Knowing well the paths to the ship's various systems better than the intruder program; Lieutenant Sheridan took three backdoors, and then intercepted the invasion.  A moment later, caught and unable to slip away as Andrew used a set of algorithms to net the invader; the young Second Officer put the program under quarantine.  Once that was accomplished - it was only a matter of destroying it, and the Starfleet computer defense soon took care of exactly that.

All of this took place in the matter of just over six minutes, but to Andrew those were some very long minutes.  Taking a steadying breath...Andrew rose up with eyes narrowed furiously at the planet on the screen.  Attacking a Federation starship was grounds for immediate reaction, but he had things to consider.  The government was at fault...the people might not be.  He allowed Mr. Keldar to take back his seat as he made his way back over to the center chair.  Seated again...Andrew continued to glare at the planet.

=/\= All hands, condition red.  I repeat, all hands to red alert...battle stations, =/\= he ordered over the comm.  "Ops, hail the Captain on the new frequency.  Do not change the parameters of the new security settings.  Keep an eye on any attempts to further breech our systems.

Mr. Keldar nodded, and Andrew was soon hailing the Captain on the new coded frequency.  =/\= PHOENIX to Captain, the President just had a very nasty surprise sent to the ship's systems.  Nearly shut down the core, and just about took out the defenses and stole the schematics of the ship.  All attacks have been dealt with, and the program has been purged.  Current status at red alert. =/\=

[Bridge]

Derek was somewhat relieved that Keldar had the common sense to cut off the transmission to the President right before Sheridan got to work. "Lieutenant, We have over half our crew still on the surface." He spoke out in warning as the klaxons sounded. "At red alert and with raised shields, we can't beam them back. If the President is behind these attacks, and he realizes that we're onto him, we could be looking at losing alot of people."

While he could see that Sheridan knew his trade, Derek could sense that the weight of command was beginning to weigh him down. His decisions were becoming more rash, more reaction than action. "Sir, if I may. Our top priority, asides from ship security, should be to recall our people with the least amount of attention attracted. The transmission to the President was cut abruptly, I suggest we reconnect and advise him that we're having some technical difficulties. If he knows about the attack, then he may assume his plan is working. If he doesn't, then it will give us that much more of an excuse to begin transporting our crew back onboard."

_______________________________
Back to top Go down
Andrew Sheridan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Post of the Month - Mission
Participated in the first mission Participated in the first mission
Posts : 180
Join date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Bridge

Andrew looked over at the Chief Petty Officer stationed at the Helm. For a long moment, the young Second Officer said nothing. His channel was open to the Captain, and knowing how good her hearing was...she likely heard the options given by Mr. Black. Precious seconds were ticking away. If he lowered the ship's shields against a planet that had the ability to fire upon them...then he would be putting those aboard at risk. If, however, he didn't...then those on the planet below were at risk. There was the option of beaming down enough firepower to the personnel to defend them, but that still required lowering the shields. It was a terrible choice to have to make, but the choice without the Captain or XO present...was his to make.

=/\= Captain, standby, =/\= Andrew said apologetically over the comm. All emotions were wiped clean from his face....except one...determination.

"Very well, have the transmission become static-like, and reopen a channel to the President. Make sure there isn't any chance of them striking again," he ordered Mr. Keldar, and the new channel was open.

=/\= Mr. President, we appear to have some problems with our systems. After having a recent update from our starbase; the new equipment may not have been ready to test. I apologize for our abrupt break in communication earlier. Please standby while we attempt to fix this problem, and then we will be happy to establish a link so you can better aid us in our investigation. =/\=

Unfortunately, for the President, the only things that came through clear on the static channel was:

=/\= Mr. President, we appear..........so...lems......systems. After having a recent update........new equipment may not......ready for test. ...apologize for our abrupt break in.........earlier. Please standby while we.........ix this problem, and..en we.......establish a li........etter aid us....in our...vest..tion =/\=

_______________________________

For The Future...
Back to top Go down
NPC



Post of the Month - Mission
Posts : 296
Join date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 am


President Anim Gorova

Andrew Sheridan wrote:

=/\= Mr. President, we appear..........so...lems......systems.  After having a recent update........new equipment may not......ready for test.  ...apologize for our abrupt break in.........earlier.  Please standby while we.........ix this problem, and..en we.......establish a li........etter aid us....in our...vest..tion =/\=

Gorova had to hand it to the kind. He seemed quite unflapped by the whole situation. Either the virus hadn't done as much damaged as had been hoped, or he had a hell of a Tongo face. Either way...Not much can be done about it, now.

"Understood, of course. Do not allow me to keep you any further from your duties. Good luck, Lieutenant Sherdian."

He nodded to the computer tech, cutting the transmission signal. "We can't be certain -" the young man began, bug the president cut of him off with a curt gesture. "I know we can't be certain. It's done, now...at least, for them. Send word to the Undercity. I want that situation taken care of."

Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain


Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Posts : 1715
Join date : 2014-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 am

[Undercity]

The communication from Lieutenant Sheridan back on the Phoenix had Archangel worried. Why was the president attacking the ship? The only reason that she could come up with would be that they were hiding something. Well, they were. You're standing in it.

Setting her jaw, she turned to the rest of the away team. "I'm calling this scouting session short, ladies and gentlemen. Everyone, back to the surface.". Tapping her commbadge, she went to call the ship.

"T'Koris to Phoenix, we're heading back to the surface, prepare to-"

Her communication was cut short as she heard something outside. Far too close for comfort, a couple of explosions sounded, followed by the rumble of falling stone.

_______________________________


Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
|  Now she's stronger than you know, a heart of steel starts to grow  |
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mission 4: Behind the Mask   Today at 3:10 am

Back to top Go down
 
Mission 4: Behind the Mask
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: USS Phoenix :: Archives :: Mission Archives-
Jump to: