Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Participated in the first mission
Founding Member

PostSubject: Posts of the Week #1   Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Ladies, gentlemen and variations thereof,

On the suggestion of the USS Phoenix's second officer, Lieutenant Julia Rellek, it has been decided that, from this week onwards, we will be awarding ribbons to the writers of posts that have been nominated as excellent.  Two ribbons will be awarded each week, one for a mission post, the other for a shore leave post.

Recommendations from anyone are welcome.  If you see a post you think deserves a Post of the Week ribbon, whether because it was well written, or funny, emotional, full of suspense, please quote it into a message to myself (Admiral Rachel Deacon), along with the date that it was posted and the name of the thread.

Without further delay, here are this weeks, and the first ever, Posts of the Week!

In the Mission category, please congratulate Lieutenant Commander Andrew Sheridan, for his research, in-depth knowledge, and dedication to precision in the Phoenix mission 'Rattle of Sabers':

Andrew Sheridan wrote:
Bridge

"Lieutenant Jiseth, I have no intention of us following a mysterious vessel that just put a Romulan D'deridex down...at least not directly.  I have an idea.  The nebula is currently between us and the vessel in question.  They likely know we are here, but lets see if we can make sure they don't see us following them...at least not as anything more than a sensor anomaly.  To do so, I want us to slip into the nebula from what telemetry we already have from the probe.  From that point, we will basically soak up the way a nebula scrambles sensor contacts.  It shouldn't take long....just enough to mask our signature.  From that point, we will continue on to the binary star we talked about earlier...which will parallel the vessel in question.  Combined, it will make us less seen as stalking them, and still allow us to keep tabs on them.  It should not affect our own sensor abilities," Andrew answered Jiseth with a slight smile.  "A little trick my mother taught me in the other timeline I came from," he added a tad more grimly...remembering it was one of many survival techniques she had come up with to survive being hunted by the Borg.

For a moment, Andrew sat back down in the command chair...eyes half closed in thought...brows furrowed in worry.  Something about the situation kept tickling the back of his mind, but he simply couldn't figure out what was nagging at him.

When Julia requested his presence at the Science station where she had been hard at work; Andrew stood up and strode over to her swiftly.

"What do you have?" he inquired of the new Second Officer.

Julia didn't get to answer when the Captain strode on to the Bridge requiring a report from all of her stations.  He frowned slightly when she had not required him to report on their overall status, but he simply let it slide.  There was enough to worry about at the moment without having to worry about how to interact with his Captain as her XO.  They would learn in time how to work together.

Jiseth's answer did not surprise him, because she was indeed waiting for when they had sufficiently soaked up the nebula to mask their signature from the enemy ship.  At this point, Andrew had already decided the ship in question was an enemy.  

He went back to looking over Julia's work, and noticed the anomalies she had discovered over the Starfleet phaser signatures on the D'deridex hull pieces.  His frown now deepened.  The phaser signature was a good 15.6% stronger than even what a Sovereign-class would have used.  With a nearly Vulcan-like raised left eyebrow; Andrew Sheridan looked up from the data to Julia and then back down.  There wasn't a starship in the fleet that could produce that kind of firepower...not with phaser beams.  Sure, the Defiant-class pulse phasers were stronger, but this damage was not from such a phaser type, and even that would not have been so strong.

So, what could have produced such a result?  A new race or power that used phaser technology based off of Starfleet's?  Or...

Lieutenant Commander Sheridan paused in his thoughts as he closed his eyes.  Was it possible?  He needed more information...he needed proof...

In the Shore Leave category, please congratulate Lieutenant Jiseth for her use of humour, which made it difficult to narrow it down to one post from the thread 'It's Okay, I'll Kill You Later':

Jiseth wrote:
"A little... Tsh. I guess that's progress. She used to call me Pointy because of my ears. Somehow I found that endearing."

Reaching over to her own PADD, Jiseth looked at their destination. Something else peaked her curiosity that thus far had not. The whole reason she was awoken and sent on this errand she had thrown into the back of her mind. Her focus was getting the ship ready and reassuring a naturally worried lover that she would indeed return in a short time. It was time to find out.

"Not to be abrasive myself... But what tiny, backwater hellhole are we going to anyway, Telak? The Captain seemed pretty insistent that I get you there and back in one piece, but so far it seems you could have taken a much smaller craft by yourself. The speech is one thing. Pity really. Not much one can do about the scales however, or history. And they call us Romulans the treacherous ones..."

We would also like to give an honourable mention to this post, from the same thread and author:

Jiseth wrote:
There was a wily grin across Jiseth's face as she tried to take another sip. Silence or vicious mockery in rebuttal, she could get the Cardassian to react. To feel discontent. Angry. The attempt to ignore her somehow became more comical as time went on. She sputtered and her coffee sprayed around her face, though most of it made it into the cup. Then came the outright laughter as she clutched her sides.

"He would, wouldn't he! What a wonderful union! That thundering, mountainous meathead and a shy, meek little thing. I always assumed there was some blood-crazed woman back in that zoo of an empire of his, but no. And you know what? He's the only Klingon I didn't think was a complete animal though. Probably the sleep deprivation talking, but he's one of the kindest souls I've ever met."

That concludes this week's nominations!  Congratulations to our nominees and good luck to everyone for next week.

Admiral Deacon.

Archangel T'Koris | Ilana Telak | Rachel Deacon | Zero Alpha | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"Life isn't about finding shelter in the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.aurorafleet.org
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission