Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart
Participated in the first mission

PostSubject: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:30 pm

[Sickbay - USS Phoenix]

After the events on Pullock V, the Phoenix had rapidly warped back to Starbase Athena to avail itself of the more advanced medical facilities there for the two members of the crew who had been cut down by the terrorists at the colony's hospital. The Phoenix's sickbay facilities had been enough to stabilise both patients, but repairing the damage done had require more than what was available.

Since her weak form had given the doctors some concern, Ilana was having to stay in sickbay for a couple of days until they were sure that the repairs that had been done were going to hold. She still had one or two operations to go in order to return everything to the way it had been before in any case, since the surgery would have been too much to put her through in one go. At least she was off the blood transfusions. It was a start.

Sickbay was thankfully quiet, meaning that she had been able to leave her biobed and make her way over to a console, bringing up work that she had been in the middle of before the away mission to the colony. Junior medical officer or not, she still had to file reports and continue a few lines of research. She wasn't supposed to be up and about yet. In fact, sitting or standing for any length of time was still painful for her, but she wasn't about to let that get in the way of her work.

Between the sub-par hearing that was a fact of life for Cardassians and her engrossment in her work, Ilana jumped as she heard someone behind her, turning around quickly and then wincing at the tension it put on the newly regenerated skin on her hip. The person standing in front of her was a new transfer on to the ship, their new counsellor. She offered him a faint, shy smile.

"H-h-hello."

Archangel T'Koris | Ilana Telak | Rachel Deacon | Zero Alpha | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends."
Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 pm

[Sickbay - USS Phoenix]

Just like everyone else, George had heard about the high-trauma cases that had to be transferred off the ship and onto a starbase just to receive all the treatment they needed. That sort of concept was a little beyond him-- his Asteroid colony had made do with their hospital facilities, only very rarely sending people off-world to get some intensive care.

Eventually, they'd been returned. Both were Cardassians, evidently victims of hate attacks and both sustaining severe leg injuries. One had apparently lost his leg. He was off elsewhere, supposedly undergoing physical therapy in another area of the ship.

As for the other one... well, she was right in front of him, doing exactly what she wasn't supposed to be doing. His job was supposed to be to talk to them, become friendly with them. Perhaps they'd open up about the trauma they'd suffered, but that wasn't high on the list of priorities. He just wanted to become familiar with them-- and a part of him didn't want to start with the older, more irritable looking Cardassian.

The girl's stammered hello was endearing. George mirrored her smile, which then split into a playful grin. "Couldn't stay away from the work, huh?"

"You need to get back in the biobed, but I can get you a lap table to continue at least some of it while you're resting," he offered. "Oh, I'm rude, sorry. George Warden, ship's counselor."

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:24 pm

The smile turned a little guilty as the young man pegged exactly what she wasn't supposed to be doing.  It had been a continuing argument between her and Raynor, the fact that she had worked so hard and so much.  Then again, when she looked at it objectively, she had tried to go back to work only a few hours after undergoing brain surgery.

"Ih-Ilana T-T-Telak," she replied to his introduction, struggling to her feet.  She had to brace herself with one hand against the console.  Her hip was really sore as she moved the joint, prompting her to shift all of her weight onto her other leg. Glancing toward the biobed she had been previously occupying, she sighed quietly. More rest was the last thing she wanted.

"I th-th-th-think I've b-b-b-been r-r-resting l-l-long enough, th-th-thank y-y-you."

Archangel T'Koris | Ilana Telak | Rachel Deacon | Zero Alpha | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends."
Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:50 am

George's smile didn't fade, only became a little exasperated. Why did every single officer drop that line on him? They'd always rested enough, seen him enough, taken enough medication... yet they always wound up back... or in Ilana's case, barely holding herself upright.

He gave her a mock-condescending look, then cracked another grin.

"Can't tell ya how many times I hear that on the daily, doc. Sadly for you, I'm used to it, and your file indicates more rest. So up on the biobed you go," he said with a waving gesture toward the aforementioned biobed.

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 pm

The young Cardassian pulled a face as she followed his gesture toward the biobed. She hated the things. As far as she was concerned, she had already spent far too long on it and it had done nothing for her except for make her sore and agitated.

"It h-h-hurts t-t-to s-s-stay in one p-p-position f-f-for t-t-to l-l-long," she admitted.

Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:24 am

She wasn't happy about it, but at least she was listening. He did understand her concern, at least. "I'm sure that's true," George agreed. "Hip injuries aren't pleasant to sit on all day. Unfortunately, walking and standing about is out of the question." It really was. Until she was good to go, she had to stay in one place.

"I'll get you a lap table," he suggested again to solve her need to work herself silly. "And maybe a few pillows or cushions that you can use to change position once in a while on the biobed."

"If you'd like, I could stay and talk with you once you have those things... unless you'd prefer I leave and sorta watch you to make sure you stay put."

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:31 am

For a moment, it looked as if Ilana was going to argue with the counsellor, but then sighed quietly, sensing that, like with Raynor, this was not an argument that she was likely to win. The counsellor wasn't likely to ask himself any questions about sticking her with a hypo if he thought it was necessary.

"M-m-maybe y-y-you're r-right," she said quietly as she limped a few steps toward the biobed. The young Cardassian then stopped, looking a little chagrined. "I... I w-would appreciate th-th-the c-c-company." The incident down on the planet had been a traumatic one and, so far, she hadn't really been able to open up to anyone about it. While she had been subject to looks and whispers, no one had ever taken a disrupter to her just because of her scales.

Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:31 pm

George was just glad he wasn't being argued with. Enough of that was part of his line of work as it was. He kept the same smile on his face, turning to pull a small, collapsible lap-table out of the wall and over toward the biobed for Ilana. Shortly, he'd also bring over her PADDs, but that would come later, especially if she wanted to talk first.

He knew that a traumatic experience could take a while to talk about, and could have a whole oodle of side effects on the brain, but he had to start somewhere with her, and talking sounded just wonderful. Leaning the small table against the bio-bed, the counselor grabbed a chair for himself. Once Ilana was back where she belonged, he snapped the table in place. "Well, I've got an empty schedule for a long while, so I can stay and chat," he said as he gathered up the various work PADDs that Ilana had been working on and stacked them on the doctor's new table.

"I suppose it gets real quiet in here sometimes."

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Moving back over to the biobed was slow work for Ilana, partially due to her injury, but partially due to her own reluctance to have to lie down on it again. Once she was situated again on it, she grumbled under her breath to herself, pulling a blanket over her legs to keep off what she perceived to be a chill in the sickbay air.

Curling her legs up under her, she turned slightly on her side to look at George, offering him a faint smile. "Y-y-yes, it is, b-b-but y-y-you g-get used t-t-to it," she replied with a slight shrug. "D-d-did y-y-you ch-choose th-th-this assignment?"

Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Ok, the chair was uncomfortable. Oh well. Starfleet academy had uncomfortable chairs too, and the ones in the small repair location he'd worked at before that were a complete pain in the... anyway... George crossed his legs, but maintained an otherwise neutral presentation.

"Oh, no," he answered. If he were fully honest, he would have probably described how he'd almost asked for a different assignment. This ship's reputation proceeded it, but in the end he had decided that he had to be of help. That was why he enlisted, anyway.

"It was assigned to me, actually. What about you?"

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Ilana was never sure who the sickbay designers had had in mind when they put together the plans for sickbay. Certainly the biobeds had never been considered comfortable by any of the patients she could think of off the top of her head. At least, none of those who had ever had to spend more than an hour lying on one of the slightly padded surfaces.

"I'm only on t-t-temporary assignment h-h-here," she admitted. "M-m-my p-p-p-permanent assignment is on th-th-the s-s-starbase, b-b-but I g-g-get l-loaned out t-t-to th-the Ph-Ph-Phoenix s-s-sometimes, s-such as f-f-for th-the aid m-m-mission t-t-to th-the C-C-Cardassian c-c-colony, wh-where... wh-where th-th-this h-h-happened."

Back to top Go down
George Warden
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 am

That was an unusual setup, but not unheard of. George nodded politely. He wished sometimes that he was able to get around more, but as of yet he seemed to be stuck with one ship and one crew-- an a handful of a crew it was indeed. The mangerie of species didn't even compete with the boat of mental traumas he'd heard about.

A ginger eyebrow quirked as Telak touched on the reason for her being in sickbay. George wondered if she'd be willing to tell him more about it... but he wouldn't push.

"I did hear about that. That must have been pretty hard on you... and this isn't exactly the most comfortable place to recover," George lifted the seriousness of his tone at the end to keep things cordial. No need to send this cardassian skittering away in the beginning of a conversation.

Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:47 am

Pulling a slight face as she heard the platitude that she had heard from so many people since the incident, Ilana quickly dismissed the urge to snap at the counsellor. It was a strange, human habit to attempt to convey sympathy in such a manner. 'It much have been pretty hard on you'. She hated hearing that phrase.

"I am r-r-relatively unscathed," she replied, a hint of dismissiveness in her voice. "An engineering c-c-colleague of m-m-mine l-l-lost h-h-his l-leg and m-m-many of th-th-the p-p-patients and d-d-doctors wh-wh-who w-w-were attacked at th-th-the c-c-colony l-l-lost th-th-their l-l-lives."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]   Today at 6:47 am

Back to top Go down

Dipping a Toe into What's to Come [George/Ilana]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: USS Phoenix :: Shore Leave-
Jump to: