Chief Petty Officer
Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-08-11
|Subject: Reporting In - Derek Black Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:38 pm|| |
Name: Derek Black
Date of Birth: 12 Nov 2332
Characteristic elements: Physically fit and capable, conditions as shown.
Mother: Hannah Wilson-Black (Age 66, Alive, residing on Earth)
Father: Commander Christian Black, Ret. (Age 70, Alive, residing on Earth)
Brother: LtCommander Samuel Black, USS Endeavour (Age 36, Alive, Active Duty)
Sister: Alice Black-Montclair (Age 26, Alive, residing on Earth)
Growing up in the small Canadian City of North bay, Derek led a typical boy's life; running in the woods, swimming in the lakes, and dreaming of flying. His active childhood was enhanced by the advantages of living close to Starfleet Planetary Traffic Monitoring Station(SPTMS) Hornell Heights, located only a bike's ride away from his home. His father had been assigned to the post for an abnormally long period of time, allowing most of the Black family to be raised in a single homestead, unlike most other 'fleet brats'. The locale had once been home to a Royal Canadian Air Force base, and an avid flying club still utilized the old airfield, introducing Derek to the adventures of flight at a young age. Indeed, the Black brothers spent so much time at the aerodrome, their mother comm-ed there before the school if either boys were found missing classes.Career
While his brother, Sam, was willing to continue his education and applied to Starfleet Academy after graduating from secondary school, Derek was eager to continue his experiences from civilian shuttles. Trusting a recruiter's avid promise that he would be allowed to transfer to the officer corp as a pilot only a few years into his contract, Derek brushed off his father's gentle warnings and enlisted as a basic crewman, specializing in a trade completely unrelated to his personal field of interest; Medicine. It was only through a dozen years of building contacts, three starships, surviving the Dominion War, and taking a rank reduction, which finally allowed him to pursue a role in Flight.
Starting as a starbase shuttle pilot, Derek was allowed to challenge the Flight SAR selection at the age of 32, something which his fellow trainees never let him forget. Known as 'Pappy', he successfully completed the course despite his instructors reservations and was presented with the 'wings' of a Flight SAR Specialist. His previous experience allowing him to regain his former rank quickly, he was soon re-assigned to yet another position which involved little of his skillset; instructing basic training and indoctrination at Starfleet Academy. Faced with a request for an active ship posting for the fourth year in a row, the career manager finally assigned Derek back to a starship crew. Service historyAssignments
- Crewman Recruit, NCM Candidate, Starfleet Academy
- Crewman Apprentice, Medical Specialist Candidate, Starfleet Medical
- Senior Crewman, Medical Specialist, USS Stadacona
- Petty Officer Third Class, Primary Leadership Candidate, Starfleet Academy
- Petty Officer Third Class, Medical Specialist, USS Stadacona
- Petty Officer Third Class, Senior Medical Specialist Candidate, Starfleet Medical
- Petty Officer Second Class, Senior Medical Specialist, USS Stadacona
- Petty Officer First Class, Senior Medical Specialist, USS Guernica-B
- Petty Officer First Class, SAR (Medical) Candidate, Starfleet Medical
- Petty Officer First Class, SAR (Medical) Specialist, USS Guernica-B
- Petty Officer First Class, Intermediate Leadership Candidate, Starfleet Academy
- Chief Petty Officer, SAR (Medical) NCO-IC, USS Manetheren-C
- Petty Officer Third Class, Flight Operations, Starbase 238
- Petty Officer Second Class, Flight Operations, Starbase 238
- Petty Officer Second Class, SAR (Flight) Candidate, Starfleet Academy
- Petty Officer Second Class, SAR (Flight) Specialist, USS Hargoth
- Petty Officer First Class, SAR (Flight) NCO-IC USS Hargoth
- Chief Petty Officer, Basic Qualifications Instructor, Starfleet Academy
- Senior Chief Petty Officer, COB/Chief Flight Control Officer, USS Discovery-B
Enlisted or Officer?: Enlisted
Department preference 1: Flight
Department Preference 2: MedicalSample PostYou have arrived at your newest assignment...I'm getting too old for this.
When the career mangler had assigned Derek to his last posting with Task Force 10, it had been implied that the berth onboard Discovery would've lasted at least a couple years. It would've been a nice change from the fast paced changes over the past decade, ever since the end of the Dominion War. He should've been happy, he had gotten exactly what he wanted; a position in Flight. The truth was though, after the long conflict, after all the torment and torture he had witnessed, all the suffering and pain in the silent vacuum of space and on the dust-choked battlefields, Derek simply wanted to get away from medicine. He had had enough.
Discovery was supposed to have been that posting which finally gave him some breathing space, a position with a different type of responsibility, a different vantage point. Instead, they had decided the newly formed Aurora Fleet required experienced members, and Derek had been one of those rapidly pulled and redirected with little warning. Even now as he watched Starbase Athena quickly grow in his transport's viewport, he felt a certain sense of apprehension. Much of the senior leadership here had once been assigned to TF10, and it would be interesting to see if those taken were considered the cream, or the crop.
Posts : 375
Join date : 2014-06-27
|Subject: Re: Reporting In - Derek Black Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:22 am|| |
Welcome to Aurora Fleet, Derek!
Your application is excellent, and I have no worries assigning you the rank of Chief Petty Officer in the flight department. Please respond to this post with whether you would rather serve on the USS Phoenix under Lieutenant Jiseth, or on Starbase Athena.