Rules: Get into character and answer each question AS YOUR CHARACTER WOULD. For example, if your character would lie when asked if he/she currently has romantic feelings for anyone, then you better lie. [You can put in a note as an author to write the truth.]
1. What is your name? Nickname?
Raynor Hughes. I have no middle name. In Klingonese, my name renders as RanoR.
2. Why were you named that?
Hughes is my father's surname. It's traditional for Terrans to take the surname of one or more parents, instead of a House name.
3. What is your gender?
4. What species are you?
Klingon and Terran.
5. How old are you? What year were you born?
Rendered Earth standard, May 30, 2348. As of this date, I am thirty years old.
6. Do you wish you were older or younger?
I was like unto a grown man by the time I was thirteen years old.
7. What is your IQ? If you don't know, guess.
You don't want to know. All it'd do is make you feel more inadequate.
8. What color are your eyes? Do you like them?
9. What color is your hair? Is it natural or dyed? Do you like the color?
Dark brown, nearly black. It is natural.
10. Is your hair thin or thick? Straight or curly? Long or short? How do you wear it?
Thick and straight. I usually wear it pulled back in a tail in deference to Starfleet uniform regulation. As an exchange officer, I could wear it however I damn well please.
11. How tall are you? Are you happy with your height?
193 cm. It serves its purpose. I enjoy using my height to indimidate foo
12. How much do you weigh? Are you happy with your weight?
14. How would you describe your skin tone?
Dusky, with a touch of bronze.
15. What is your body type? Are you athletic?
A warrior stays in peak condition as long as they can.
17. Do you have any scars? From what?
Yes. When my training on Qo'noS first commenced, I was beaten to the point of death by a group of warriors. They carved the outline of a bat'leth along my shoulders as a form of initiation rite. I have kept the scar there.
18. Do you have any tattoos? Of what and where?
See above. Not only do I refuse to allow the scar to shame me, I have outlined it with a tattoo of an actual honor blade.
19. Do any other features stand out? Big nose? Almond eyes? Gap in teeth?
Well, the Klingon features are hard to miss.
20. Do you have any unusual characteristics?
21. Any defining gestures? (Biting your lip, avoiding eye contact while speaking)
If speaking loudly and directly is a defining gesture...
22. What do you like most about your appearance?
I am happy with it. My genetics gave me my appearance. To dislike it is an insult to those who came before.
24. Overall, are you happy with your appearance? Do you think you are attractive?
25. Do others think you are attractive?
Most always have.
26. What is your blood type?
O Negative on the Terran side.
27. Do you have any mental illnesses? Addictions? Disabilities?
I am a scientist, not a psychotherapist.
[MEDICAL NOTE: Lt. Col. Hughes continues to battle bouts of manic depression, though they are not as pronounced as they once were. Mitigating factor can be likely attributed to his romantic attachment to Dr. Ilana Telak.]
28. Do you avoid your medicals?
29. What was the last medical procedure you had done?
Sprained wrist. Ilana made me go...
30. Do you have any allergies or medical problems?
31. Do you have any problems sleeping? What's wrong and why do you think that is?
Of course not. Sleep is a luxury not always afforded to us.
46. What is your earliest childhood memory?
Playing in the dirt.
47. What is your happiest childhood memory?
When my mother was still alive. She began to teach me forms of mok'bara as an outlet for my aggression against the other children.
48. What is your worst childhood memory?
I was eight when my mother was killed by Romulans. Barely still a 'child' by Klingon standards, but I believe that qualifies.
49. What was your childhood like?
Confusing. But happy, overall.
50. What were your childhood aspirations?
To grow up strong. To learn to fight like a warrior, and not a thug.
51. What is your most embarrassing memory?
52. What is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to you?
Fear is a weapon. Enemies will try to use it against you, but it can only be used to drive the desire to continue on. That is the heat of fear, the red fear. The oily kind, the kind that cripples and breeds self-doubt like a foetid swamp, is the black fear. One is the instinct of the warrior, the other the refuge of the coward.
53. Have you ever had a near death experience? Have you ever died?
54. What is the worst thing you have ever done? Even if for a good reason.
The first few times Ilana and I made love, it was under mind-altering or extranormal hormonal influence. My Klingon nature caused me to hurt her. Had there been someone to assist in Hegh’bat, I likely would have given it serious consideration at the time.
55. What is the worst thing anyone has ever done to you?
I’m not the only person to have ever hurt Ilana.
56. Do you have a permanent residence on any planet?
57. Where were you born? What is this place like?
Archanis IV, a colony world with Federation and Imperial influence.
58. Has anything life changing ever happened to you?
…Have you been paying attention?
59. Have you ever experienced anything traumatic?
I don’t think you have.
60. Do you have any serious regrets? What are they? How would you act differently?
I feel like I’m repeating myself.
61. Have you ever lost someone you love? How?
62. What was your least favorite subject?
In primary school on Archanis, one of my instructors insisted on teaching non-Euclidian geometry. It made my brain hurt. He was a crackpot.
63. What was your favorite subject?
64. What were you best at?
Anything I set my mind to.
[MEDICAL NOTE: A brief perusal of Lt. Col. Hughes’ transcripts show his strongest subjects to be biosciences, botany, xenobiology, wilderness survival, and personal defense.]
65. Were you made fun of in school? Why?
Not really. Archanis had both Humans and Klingons. By the time I reached secondary schooling on Earth, I was already looked like I could kill anyone with one finger. This is, of course, a boast – it takes at least two fingers.
66. What was your education like?
67. How much education have you received?
Primary schooling on Archanis IV, secondary schooling on Earth, specialized training on Qo’noS.
68. Did you attend the Academy? What was your most memorable experience there?
I did not. I came into Starfleet as an exchange officer following the end of the war.
69. Did you like school?
It served its purpose.
71. Are you enlisted or commissioned? What is your rank?
Commissioned, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel in the Klingon Defense Force.
72. What department do you serve in?
73. Why do you do it? How did you end up doing it?
Khaless the Unforgettable serves as a model warrior to many Klingons, but one aspect that is overlooked too often is his intelligence. Khaless set the mold for the great philosopher-kings of the Empire’s early days…a mold that has been forgotten all too often. A warrior’s mettle should not be measured in sheer brutality or crudeness.
74. Do you have any future goals for this job or others?
To find a way to stay with Ilana more.
75. How long have you done this?
In my current exchange officer position? Since 2375.
76. What are your parents' names?
Morgan Hughes. My mother was K’Ayhlor of GevnoS.
77. What do your parents do for a living?
My father is retired from Starfleet, outgoing rank of Chief Petty Officer.
78. Do you have any siblings? Older or younger?
79. Who are you closest to?
Dad wins by default?
80. Is there anyone not in your immediate family who you consider to be family?
I have many allies, but I have made none of them honorary blood-siblings.
81. Do/did you live with or commonly see grandparents, cousins, or other relatives?
82. Are you married? Have you ever been?
83. Do you have any children? How many? How old? Who is the father?
None of which I am aware.
84. Does anyone else in your family serve or has served in Starfleet?
I believe there are some names back through the years on my father’s side.
85. Do you have a good relationship with your family?
It is adequate.
86. Who is your best friend? (If 2 really close friends, answer the next questions for both)
Ilana Telak and Jiseth.
87. How did you meet? How long have you known each other?
Shipboard assignments. Both of them, a few years.
88. Why are you best friends? What about your personalities work well together?
Sometimes things just work. Maybe it has something to do with us all three being former enemy species...to the Federation, and each other.
89. What are his/her greats qualities? Flaws?
Ilana keeps me grounded, and brings out my best qualities. Jiseth has a warrior’s true fire, and is the best sparring partner and sounding board I ever had. Flaws…Ilana has an almost pathological ignorance of her own heath. Jiseth probably has flaws, too, but I’m not her lover or her parent, so what business are they of mine?
90. If of the opposite sex, have there ever been any romantic feelings?
91. Other friends?
92. Who is your nicest friend?
Ugh. This really sounds like something the Federation wrote…
93. Do you have many friends? If you have few friends, why?
People have always gravitated to me.
94. Do you have any enemies or frenemies?
Yes. Some of them are even still living.
95. Does anyone dislike you?
96. Do you dislike anyone?
97. Do you have any rivals?
None worthy of notice.
98. What is your sexual orientation?
99. What's your current relationship status?
Committed. Dr. Ilana Telak is my par’Mach’kai.
102. Do you love anyone now? Have you ever?
Yes, and yes.
103. If not in love, do you have a crush on anyone?
The human concept of ‘crushing’ has a very different translation in Klingonese. A Klingon does not ‘pine’. They write poetry and pursue the hunt. If both parties feel like they’re the conqueror, then the ‘crushing’ was properly done.
104. Do you know if anyone is in love or has a crush on you?
105. Do you love anyone who does not love you back? Have you ever?
…Jiseth is a friend. But there was a time…yes. I could have, easily, had the situation been different. And if she’d preferred men.
106. Have you ever told anyone you loved them? When?
107. Has anyone told you they loved you? When?
108. Have you ever cheated on anyone?
Yes. A regrettable action, but I was young.
109. Have you ever been cheated on?
Maybe? It isn’t really that important anymore, is it?
110. Has anyone ever broken your heart?
‘Breaking hearts’ is a very human concept, but not one that is alien to me.
111. Have you ever broken anyone's heart?
I imagine so, yes.
112. Are you shy about relationships?
Of course not.
[MEDICAL NOTE: Psych evals reveal sometimes-intense trepidation about whether his relationship with Dr. Telak is appropriate for her overall health and wellbeing.]
113. What do you do when you like someone? Tell them? Give hints?
Varies, depending on the situation. On Qo’noS, you told someone directly. Among humans, things are a different kind of dance.
114. Are you a virgin?
115. Have you ever given or received a blowjob?
Given, no. Received? Oh…the benefits of being a powerfully-built, exotic-looking male among Terran females…
116. Have you ever kissed someone the same sex as you?
I doubt it.
117. Do you have any quirks in the bedroom?
Pain. Scratches, gouges, bites. All quite tame by Klingon standards, mind you.
118. What kind of man/woman are you usually attracted to?
119. What kind of lover do you prefer?
120. When did you last engage in any romantic or sexual behavior?
It’s been a while. Ilana and I are waiting for her mission-related injuries to heal better.
121. How many people have seen you naked?
I’m sure there’s a formula to calculate that.
122. Who do you love most in the world?
123. Who do you hate most?
Anyone who hurts Ilana.
124. Who could you not live without?
…Ilana. Let’s just answer ‘Ilana’ through to Question 129.
125. Who do you tell things to first?
126. Who knows all your secrets?
127. Who do you always argue with?
128. Who last told you they loved you? (both romantic and not)
129. Who did you last tell you loved them? (both romantic and not)
130. Have you ever punched anyone? Why?
Yes! Why not?
131. Who do you go to for advice?
Admiral Stark is an honorable man.
132. Who would you risk your life for?
Anyone of which I deem it worthy.
133. Who do you most respect?
My father, for facing what he has come through. Ilana, for the same reason.
134. Do you have any heroes or idols?
All Klingons revere Khaless. When I first came to the Homeworld, I met the honored Kor in a gathering in the Hall of Warriors.
135. If you could kill someone and get away with it, who would it be?
I am a blooded warrior many times over.
136. Are there any qualities in people or behaviors that you just can't stand?
137. Would you sacrifice your own happiness for someone else? Anyone in particular?
138. What is a typical day like? Or is each day different?
I work primarily as a botanist a general science officer aboard a Federation installation. When not doing that, I am a liaison between the Federation and Klingon Empire.
139. Are you a morning or a night person?
140. How do you usually dress while off duty? On duty?
Off duty, I usually have a black tank-top shirt and old fatigue pants. On-duty, I alternate between a Starfleet-issue duty uniform, and my KDF armor.
141. Is there anything you keep with you at all times?
I am permitted to carry a d’k tahg as a part of my standard duty uniform.
142. Do you keep a journal? Why or why not?
I keep a standard log.
143. Are you regularly in trouble or do you always follow all the rules?
Depends on whose rules we’re talking about…
144. Do you ever drink or get drunk?
Yes, and yes…though, less so as of late.
145. Do you ever go to parties?
You should see the Hall of Warriors…
146. Describe your quarters. What is in it? Is it messy?
I rarely am in my quarters. They are quite Spartan, really…most of my weaponry is still there, but most everything else has been moved to Ilana’s.
147. What would you like most to change about your life?
I would prefer to control my own destiny more.
148. Are you happy with your life?
149. What is your religion? Any strong religious beliefs?
I will die an honorable death, enter So-Vo-Kor, and sail in the Black Fleet one day…if it is a good day to die.
150. Are you very religious?
I revere the beliefs of my Klingon heritage. My rational mind knows they are mostly incompatible with modern scientific thought, but sometimes shit happens.
151. Are you superstitious?
Klingons do not have superstition.
152. What would you die before doing?
Many things. Mostly, voluntarily hurting Ilana.
153. Do you have any strong political views?
I am a strong supporter of the Martok chancellorship. He is a warrior, and a man of honor.
154. Are you satisfied with the current government? Why or why not?
If you mean the Klingon government, yes. If you refer to the Federation, I believe it is adequate. The Jaresh-Inyo administration was the wrong kind of government to win a war, but I do not fault the man. I believe President Zife was more suited to the wartime role.
155. What do you think of death and the afterlife?
156. What do you think of war?
For the right reasons, war is glorious.
157. Could you personally kill someone if it meant saving others? (Have you ever?)
158. Do you snore?
159. Do you have any secrets?
160. Do you have many fears? What are they?
Not many. If I do feel fear, it is the instinctive fear that brought life from primordial goop. There is no shame in that.
161. How do you deal with physical pain? Have you ever been seriously injured?
Pain is not real. Pain is mental. If you do not believe it hurts, it does not hurt. I have been injured multiple times.
162. How do you cope with deaths of people you know?
An honorable death is not to be mourned.
[MEDICAL NOTE: Lt. Col. Hughes, while toeing the usual line of Klingon philosophy, nonetheless had a difficult time reconciling the sadness he felt over his mother’s death as a child.]
163. Have you ever killed anyone? Why? How?
Yes. Because it needed to be done.
164. Have you ever seen anyone die? What happened?
[Rolls eyes] Oh yes, and I clutched my pearls and angst-ed over every single Dominion drone that died. Next question.
165. What do you live for? What keeps you going?
Ilana Telak. My plants. My honor.
166. Can you speak more than one language without using the UI? What languages and why?
I speak Klingonese, Federation Standard, Bolian, Zaldan, and some Andorian.
167. Do you have any bad habits?
A…bit of a temper.
168. Are you typically willing to help people who you ask for it? To what extent would you willingly help them?
Of course. To the best of my ability.
169. What is your speaking style (fast, monotone, loquacious)?
170. What are your insecurities?
I…do not believe I am the best match for Ilana. But I am trying.
171. Do you have any quirks or eccentricities?
Depends on who you ask. Humans probably think I’m insane. Klingons think I’m weak.
172. Do you have any special natural abilities?
I can tell when a person lies by looking them in the eye.
[MEDICAL NOTE: This is likely a myth, and has never been proven through empirical evidence.]
173. Do you have any specialised combat training? Why?
174. What is the best compliment you could receive? (You're gorgeous, your paintings are beautiful, you are the perfect mother)
“You don’t embarrass me.”
175. If the entire world only had one night left, what would you do? Who would you spend your last hours with?
Ilana. We would utilize every available surface.
176. If you could know anything, what would it be? (Like how the pyramids were built, what your boyfriend was thinking five minutes ago)
I would know how to fix Lana’s speech.
178. If you could have one magic power, what would it be? Why?
I would be in multiple places at once.
179. If you got one wish (no wishing for more wishes), what would you wish for?
For Ilana to be well.
180. Are you a social person? Or do you prefer solitude?
I am reasonably social. It really depends on my mood.
181. How would you describe your personality?
Up-front and honest.
182. Are you an optimist or pessimist?
I’m not afraid to see the shitty side of things.
183. Are you creative?
I believe so, yes.
184. Do you like to take risks?
185. Are you usually an honest person?
186. How would you describe your personal hygiene? Would others agree?
Unlike most Klingons, I appreciate the value of daily showers.
187. Do you think you dress well off duty? Would others agree?
Comfortable. I don’t know if people would call it ‘well’.
188. Are you sentimental?
I…think you could call it that. If I’m in the mood.
189. Are you openly emotional?
Can you read the irritation on my face at the length of this quiz?
190. Are you a hard worker?
191. Are you usually a leader or a follower? Are you happy with that?
Leader. If it is my rightful place to be so.
192. Are you confident?
193. Are you introverted or extroverted?
194. Are you a stressed person?
Over certain things. Mainly Ilana-based.
195. Are you easily embarrassed?
196. Are you very proud?
After a fashion, yes.
197. How do you think other people see you?
I don’t care.
198. What things do others say are your weaknesses?
199. What do others say are your strengths?
200. Do people generally like you or dislike you?
I believe more like me than dislike me.
201. What do you think are your best qualities?
My sense of right and wrong, and the care showed toward my plants.
202. What do you think are your worst qualities?
203. Is there anything you would like to change about yourself?
[MEDICAL NOTE: I could be inferred that Lt. Col. Hughes wishes he were more of a ‘normal’ mate to Dr. Telak.]
204. Overall, are you happy with yourself?
I believe my strengths outweigh my weaknesses.
205. What is your favorite food?
206. What is your favorite drink?
207. What is your favorite color?
208. What is your favorite animal?
Sasha, Ilana’s snake.
209. What is your favorite book?
The Final Reflection, author unknown.
211. What is your favorite music genre?
Battle hymns. Also, anything by the Earth composer Antonin Dvorak.
212. What is your favorite childhood story?
Anything told by my mother.
213. What is your favorite weather?
214. What is your favorite season?
215. What is your dream vacation?
Being in the middle of nowhere.
216. What is your favourite planet to visit? To live?
217. Do you prefer the beach or the mountains?
218. Would you rather have a life full of adventure or an uneventful life?
219. What is your favorite holiday?
Batlh jaj - the Day of Honor.
220. What is your favorite flower?
Ilana’s weeper plant.
221. What is your favorite sport? Do you like sports?
222. What is your favorite curse word?
223. Do you prefer the city or the country?
224. Do you prefer showers or baths?
Shower. Cold showers.
225. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Lazy and stupid people.
226. Are you disgusted by anything?
227. Are you squeamish?
228. Regardless of skill, do you like dancing, singing, or drawing? Anything else?
Singing, if accompanied by drinking.
229. Do you enjoy art?
I don’t…not…enjoy art?
230. What would be the perfect day?
The day this quiz ends.
231. Do you have any hobbies?
232. What do you enjoy doing most?
Ilana. [Laughs] Don’t tell her I said that, she’ll die of embarrassment.
233. When did you last feel happy? Why?
This morning, because I woke up next to my par’Mach’kai.
234. When did you last feel sad? Why?
When I returned and found that Ilana had been injured.
235. When did you last feel angry? Why?
236. When did you last feel guilty? Why?
237. When was the last time you cried? Why?
I do not cry.
[MEDICAL NOTE: We have no idea if he has tear ducts or not.]
238. When did you last see your family? Is this amount of time normal?
Ilana and I visited my father on Earth some months ago.
239. When did you last do someone a favor? Who and what was it?
I helped Crewman Boros load a crate of nitrogenated soil the other day…?
240. When did you last confess something to someone? What was it and to who?
I confessed my love to Ilana during the station Christmas party.
241. When was the last time you were sick?
242. Who is the last person you spoke to?
I’m speaking to you right now.
243. What was the last dream you can remember?
I do not dream.
244. What is your current mood?
Exhausted by this quiz.
245. Where are you?
Adjunct office to the main Sciences laboratory.
246. What color are your nails/toenails?
Pink. Not really.
247. What are your goals for this year?
To finish this quiz.
248. Do you have any pets? What are their names?
It is not a ‘pet’, but Ilana and I keep a weeper plant. She also has a snake.
249. What is your current health? Any injuries? From what?
250. What is the nearest book to you?
A computer database with the collected educational literature of all 151 worlds of the United Federation of Planets.
251. Are you wanted for any crimes?
No. People want me for other reasons.
252. Finally, how many weapons are currently on your person?
The aforementioned d’k tahg.
Click the ID card for full bio!