Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

PostSubject: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 pm

[Starbase Athena - Outside Stark's office]

When it came to asking for help from other people, Archangel was not someone who was particularly comfortable with admitting that the situation was more than she could handle. This one was. She couldn't continue to do this for much longer.

It was for that reason that she had requested a meeting with Admiral Stark, a man she was hoping would be able to help her and, if he couldn't help her, then all she could hope for was that he didn't report back to her other superiors.

As she walked toward the door of Stark's office, it was clear that there was a bit of a catch in her step, a stiffness that could have been due to a strenuous workout the night before, or it could have been due to recently healed injuries. The mission she had returned from the just the previous day had been enough to convince her that she needed out and soon, before she stopped coming back at all.

Taking a deep breath, she pressed the chime outside Stark's door, precisely on the agreed time before stepping back and offering up a prayer to the Elements that this would be the beginning of the end.

Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
|  Now she's stronger than you know, a heart of steel starts to grow  |
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:21 am

The coffee was hot and black, and Corman Stark knew it was going to be a long night.  It wasn't the foolishness with Q that had him on edge.  No, there wasn't a damn thing anyone could do about a Q visitation.  Stark didn't worry about stuff he couldn't control.  If there was one thing he'd learned in his decade plus in the captain's chair, it was that.  Concentrate on the problems you can do something about.

Today's problem was the SCE's report on the structural integrity of the various warp apertures that the Phoenix had encountered.  The Borg threat seemed to be minimized, but those bastards were like cockroaches.  The last thing the quadrant needed was another incursion.  And, of course, the question begged - if the Fleet had found more than one, how many were out there unaccounted for?

Stark shot a glare at his door as the chime sounded, glancing at the old Klingon chronometer that he kept on his desk, it's harsh numerals showing him that, yes, the meeting time had come.  How'd the evening slipped away like that?  "I'm here," he replied.

Click the card for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 am

At Stark's words, the door into his office slid open, allowing Archangel entry. She straightened her uniform yet again, a nervous gesture, before she schooled her expression into one of neutrality, or at least as close as she could get.

Stepping into the office, the young Romulan didn't deviate from form, standing to attention in front of the Admiral's desk. The stray thought crossed her mind that, if things went wrong here, this could well be the last time she ever did such a thing. Whether that was because she was dead or just thrown out of the Fleet, she didn't know, but she would rather leave the 'worst scenario' fears alone until she was a few more moves into this game and better able to predict Stark's reactions.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me, sir, and for not informing Commander Arthur about it."

Rachel Deacon | Archangel T'Koris | Zero Alpha | Ilana Telak | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:48 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
At Stark's words, the door into his office slid open, allowing Archangel entry.  She straightened her uniform yet again, a nervous gesture, before she schooled her expression into one of neutrality, or at least as close as she could get.

Stepping into the office, the young Romulan didn't deviate from form, standing to attention in front of the Admiral's desk.  The stray thought crossed her mind that, if things went wrong here, this could well be the last time she ever did such a thing.  Whether that was because she was dead or just thrown out of the Fleet, she didn't know, but she would rather leave the 'worst scenario' fears alone until she was a few more moves into this game and better able to predict Stark's reactions.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me, sir, and for not informing Commander Arthur about it."

Ah, yes.

Stark took a moment to wonder about the interpersonal steel trap that seemed to be Archangel's life, but then quickly dismissed it. The purpose of this meeting was dealing with that, in a roundabout way. Of course, he was the last person in the universe to judge how someone dealt with their family.

Or their children.

"Take the iron out of your spine, captain," he said, smiling softly. "No need for parade rest." Standing, he motioned toward the replicator terminal. "You know the drill."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Ah, yes.

Stark took a moment to wonder about the interpersonal steel trap that seemed to be Archangel's life, but then quickly dismissed it.  The purpose of this meeting was dealing with that, in a roundabout way.  Of course, he was the last person in the universe to judge how someone dealt with their family.

Or their children.

"Take the iron out of your spine, captain," he said, smiling softly.  "No need for parade rest."  Standing, he motioned toward the replicator terminal.  "You know the drill."  

As seemed to be the norm for their meetings, Archangel relaxed slightly from standing to attention but remained tense nonetheless. This time, though, she waved off the offer of a drink from the replicator. She didn't trust herself not to break something during this meeting. Despite how often she did it, she really didn't like to.

"No, thank you, sir," she replied. In the back of her mind, she wondered which of the two seats he would direct her to. Whichever one it was, it would set the tone for the rest of the meeting. It was his first move in the game of chess that they were about to play and from there, she would be able to plan her next few steps.

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:37 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

As seemed to be the norm for their meetings, Archangel relaxed slightly from standing to attention but remained tense nonetheless.  This time, though, she waved off the offer of a drink from the replicator.  She didn't trust herself not to break something during this meeting.  Despite how often she did it, she really didn't like to.

"No, thank you, sir," she replied.  In the back of her mind, she wondered which of the two seats he would direct her to.  Whichever one it was, it would set the tone for the rest of the meeting.  It was his first move in the game of chess that they were about to play and from there, she would be able to plan her next few steps.

Nodding, Corman decided not to re-take his seat, mainly because he couldn't figure out exactly which one of his other chairs that he wanted to seat her in. Nor could he figure out just what this meeting was about. Instead of sitting, he walked around the desk, taking his coffee mug with him and leaning against the rim of the desk.

"So. One doesn't normally call on their commanding officer in the dead of night for no good reason." He took a long pull from the coffee. "What can I help you with, captain?" he flatly asked.

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Nodding, Corman decided not to re-take his seat, mainly because he couldn't figure out exactly which one of his other chairs that he wanted to seat her in.  Nor could he figure out just what this meeting was about.  Instead of sitting, he walked around the desk, taking his coffee mug with him and leaning against the rim of the desk.

"So.  One doesn't normally call on their commanding officer in the dead of night for no good reason."  He took a long pull from the coffee.  "What can I help you with, captain?" he flatly asked.

Stark's choice not to sit or have her sit at all threw Archangel a little. She now no longer had a frame of reference to place his move. Well played, Stark, well played, she thought to herself. He would be a formidible man to come across on the wrong side of a battle, or a poker table.

Unfortunately, now she was going to have to do one of the few things she found incredibly difficult: actually ask for help. Stiffening her spine, she looked past the Admiral's right ear, finding it slightly easier than looking at the man himself.

"Sir, I need your help with a somewhat... delicate situation, one I would rather keep off the record for the moment, if you don't mind. I have to be careful with it, sir, and it will eventually kill me if I don't resolve it."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:55 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Stark's choice not to sit or have her sit at all threw Archangel a little.  She now no longer had a frame of reference to place his move.  Well played, Stark, well played, she thought to herself.  He would be a formidible man to come across on the wrong side of a battle, or a poker table.

Unfortunately, now she was going to have to do one of the few things she found incredibly difficult:  actually ask for help.  Stiffening her spine, she looked past the Admiral's right ear, finding it slightly easier than looking at the man himself.

"Sir, I need your help with a somewhat... delicate situation, one I would rather keep off the record for the moment, if you don't mind.  I have to be careful with it, sir, and it will eventually kill me if I don't resolve it."  

He sat quiet for a moment, taking in everything that Archangel had said. It wasn't like the Romulan captain to just open up and lay her cards on the table like that. Wonder what game she's playing... Or if she even was playing a game. Stark would have loved to have tested himself against Romulans in the field, but a part of him was glad that he never had to. Nothing much beyond a few veiled insults lobbed over the viewscreen. One could drive themselves nuts just trying to read into their every move.

"Off the record, okay," he nodded. "Those are some pretty high stakes, T'Koris. You can't just come into my office and drop a bomb like that without background. So...I will agree, but you have to tell me everything. Don't hedge."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 am

Corman Stark wrote:
He sat quiet for a moment, taking in everything that Archangel had said.  It wasn't like the Romulan captain to just open up and lay her cards on the table like that.  Wonder what game she's playing...  Or if she even was playing a game.  Stark would have loved to have tested himself against Romulans in the field, but a part of him was glad that he never had to.  Nothing much beyond a few veiled insults lobbed over the viewscreen.  One could drive themselves nuts just trying to read into their every move.

"Off the record, okay," he nodded.  "Those are some pretty high stakes, T'Koris.  You can't just come into my office and drop a bomb like that without background.  So...I will agree, but you have to tell me everything.  Don't hedge."

He had agreed to the meeting being off the record. That much was a good step, Archangel tried to reassure herself. Unfortunately, it came at the cost of having to agree to tell him everything. Whether or not that was what she wanted to do was irrelevent. She preferred having an escape route should she find that he was one of S31's many moles.

She took a moment to sit in silence, thinking it over. You've come this far in asking for his help. You [i/]need [i]his help to get out of this.

Taking a deep breath, she nodded in acknowledgement of his terms. "Agreed, sir. You should know that certain elements of this are beyond classified. We could both get into a lot of trouble for this."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

He had agreed to the meeting being off the record.  That much was a good step, Archangel tried to reassure herself.  Unfortunately, it came at the cost of having to agree to tell him everything.  Whether or not that was what she wanted to do was irrelevent.  She preferred having an escape route should she find that he was one of S31's many moles.

She took a moment to sit in silence, thinking it over.  You've come this far in asking for his help.  You [i/]need his help to get out of this.  

Taking a deep breath, she nodded in acknowledgement of his terms.  "Agreed, sir.  You should know that certain elements of this are beyond classified.  We could both get into a lot of trouble for this."

Stark was silent a moment, frowning to himself as he moved back behind his desk. He reached into the side drawer, pulling out a bottle of Tennessee whiskey and pouring himself a generous helping. Stark didn't bother to offer T'Koris any, since he knew that the Romulan didn't drink. Funny, that - a member of a species known for having the most desirable alcohol in known space, and she was a tee-totaler.

"Trouble," he repeated. "You more than me, I imagine." The first shot went down smoothly. "Me, I've been in trouble before. Chewed out a lot. If you think you can take it, I certainly can, too."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Stark was silent a moment, frowning to himself as he moved back behind his desk.  He reached into the side drawer, pulling out a bottle of Tennessee whiskey and pouring himself a generous helping.  Stark didn't bother to offer T'Koris any, since he knew that the Romulan didn't drink.  Funny, that - a member of a species known for having the most desirable alcohol in known space, and she was a tee-totaler.

"Trouble," he repeated.  "You more than me, I imagine."  The first shot went down smoothly.  "Me, I've been in trouble before.  Chewed out a lot.  If you think you can take it, I certainly can, too."

"Most certainly me more than you," Archangel replied quietly, her tone making it unsure as to whether she was talking to Stark or to herself. If this didn't work and word got back to Ikelos, or worse, Sovereign, it was very likely that the Phoenix would be looking for a new captain.

She ran a hand over her hair, lifting her tone slightly so that it was clear that she was talking to him. "It's Section 31, sir." Pausing for a moment, Archangel let that new piece of information sink in before asking, in a quiet, unsure voice: "Do you... Can you still help me?"

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

"Most certainly me more than you," Archangel replied quietly, her tone making it unsure as to whether she was talking to Stark or to herself.  If this didn't work and word got back to Ikelos, or worse, Sovereign, it was very likely that the Phoenix would be looking for a new captain.

She ran a hand over her hair, lifting her tone slightly so that it was clear that she was talking to him.  "It's Section 31, sir."  Pausing for a moment, Archangel let that new piece of information sink in before asking, in a quiet, unsure voice:  "Do you...  Can you still help me?"

Section 31.

Stark was quiet for a moment, watching the bottom of his empty tumbler glass. When he finally moved, it was to reach for the whiskey, pouring just a little more. "31, huh," he said. "You certainly don't do anything by the half, do you?" The last part came out more like a mutter.

Moving over, he sat back behind his desk, motioning toward either chair. "Have a seat." Corman idly wondered which one she would take. Odd, the little details one noticed when discussing life-and-death things. "You realize, of course, that nine of ten people would tell you that Section 31 is a myth, a conspiracy theory put forward by nuts with too much time on their hands. How do you believe I can help you with a myth?"

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Section 31.

Stark was quiet for a moment, watching the bottom of his empty tumbler glass.  When he finally moved, it was to reach for the whiskey, pouring just a little more.  "31, huh," he said.  "You certainly don't do anything by the half, do you?"  The last part came out more like a mutter.

Moving over, he sat back behind his desk, motioning toward either chair.  "Have a seat."  Corman idly wondered which one she would take.  Odd, the little details one noticed when discussing life-and-death things.  "You realize, of course, that nine of ten people would tell you that Section 31 is a myth, a conspiracy theory put forward by nuts with too much time on their hands.  How do you believe I can help you with a myth?"

Although she was very sure that she didn't want to go through the whole story, Archangel was also very sure that Stark would demand nothing less. You've opened the can of worms now, Dhael, there's no going back.

At Stark's suggestion, she took a seat, choosing the one opposite his desk rather than the one beside it. In a sense, she felt that she was on trial here, for decisions she made a long time ago, based on the wrong information and under duress.

"You have to know, sir, asking for help isn't really something I do often or easily," she admitted. "Out of everyone that I know, you seemed the most likely to know about them, and the most likely to be able to help me, sir. That's why."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:59 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Although she was very sure that she didn't want to go through the whole story, Archangel was also very sure that Stark would demand nothing less.  You've opened the can of worms now, Dhael, there's no going back.

At Stark's suggestion, she took a seat, choosing the one opposite his desk rather than the one beside it.  In a sense, she felt that she was on trial here, for decisions she made a long time ago, based on the wrong information and under duress.

"You have to know, sir, asking for help isn't really something I do often or easily," she admitted.  "Out of everyone that I know, you seemed the most likely to know about them, and the most likely to be able to help me, sir.  That's why."

The across-the-desk seat. Interesting. Stark knew that she knew about his office seating arrangement. The fact that she'd chosen the hot-seat for herself spoke volumes about her psychological situation right about now. Then again, from what he'd read in her declassified files (and some classified), he rather imagined this kid was rarely in a good psychological situation.

"I've heard of them. Everyone in high command has, on some level." Of course Corman knew about 31 - he'd been actively recruited in some very roundabout ways about a year into his captaincy. Stark had openly worked for Admiral Nechayev in Starfleet Intel, but there was always a deeper side, too. A darker side. He hadn't liked it, and told it to go to hell.

Of course, something like Section 31 wasn't openly discussed. Even when a captain came before you and seemed ready to do just that. He had to be sure. Corman wasn't anyone to lay everything on the table at the first mention. What if she was just testing him? What if it was just some Romulan game?

"Apparently, you have, too. So...what exactly does Starfleet's mythical skunkworks have to do with this conversation?"

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
The across-the-desk seat.  Interesting.  Stark knew that she knew about his office seating arrangement.  The fact that she'd chosen the hot-seat for herself spoke volumes about her psychological situation right about now.  Then again, from what he'd read in her declassified files (and some classified), he rather imagined this kid was rarely in a good psychological situation.

"I've heard of them.  Everyone in high command has, on some level."  Of course Corman knew about 31 - he'd been actively recruited in some very roundabout ways about a year into his captaincy.  Stark had openly worked for Admiral Nechayev in Starfleet Intel, but there was always a deeper side, too.  A darker side.  He hadn't liked it, and told it to go to hell.

Of course, something like Section 31 wasn't openly discussed.  Even when a captain came before you and seemed ready to do just that.  He had to be sure.  Corman wasn't anyone to lay everything on the table at the first mention.  What if she was just testing him?  What if it was just some Romulan game?

"Apparently, you have, too.  So...what exactly does Starfleet's mythical skunkworks have to do with this conversation?"

Hearing Stark voice that he had heard of them, despite being something that Archangel had been fairly certain of, was still something that helped to reassure the young Captain. Given his background in security, it was highly likely that he would have been approached for recruitment, but from what she knew of him, he likely would have told them to stuff it.

Of course, his question made her realise one thing: She was dancing around the issue. Probably a habit she had picked up from Gabriel. Early on in their relationship, it had been easy enough to tell when he was trying to tell her something big simply because he rambled on about other things vaguely related to the subject. You're doing it again.

Girding herself, she finally made the request she had come here to make:

"Admiral Stark, I requested this meeting to ask you if you could help me get away from 31."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Hearing Stark voice that he had heard of them, despite being something that Archangel had been fairly certain of, was still something that helped to reassure the young Captain.  Given his background in security, it was highly likely that he would have been approached for recruitment, but from what she knew of him, he likely would have told them to stuff it.

Of course, his question made her realise one thing:  She was dancing around the issue.  Probably a habit she had picked up from Gabriel.  Early on in their relationship, it had been easy enough to tell when he was trying to tell her something big simply because he rambled on about other things vaguely related to the subject.  You're doing it again.

Girding herself, she finally made the request she had come here to make:

"Admiral Stark, I requested this meeting to ask you if you could help me get away from 31."

Hedge? Or all-in? Stark wondered to himself just why he was dancing around coming right out and admitting that Section 31 was real. Of course it was preposterous to assume that Archangel T'Koris had taken time out of her schedule to visit him in the dead of night and lure him into a semantic trap to hear him say 'yes, the boogeyman is real, and he wears black'.

Of course, stranger things had happened.

But every captain knew when the time to toss out logic arrived. The time to go with your gut. "Away. From Section 31." Stark sat quiet a moment, tapping his index finger on the rim of his liquor glass. Perhaps a new attack vector was required.

"Captain T'Koris...why are you still in the service?"

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Hedge?  Or all-in?  Stark wondered to himself just why he was dancing around coming right out and admitting that Section 31 was real.  Of course it was preposterous to assume that Archangel T'Koris had taken time out of her schedule to visit him in the dead of night and lure him into a semantic trap to hear him say 'yes, the boogeyman is real, and he wears black'.  

Of course, stranger things had happened.

But every captain knew when the time to toss out logic arrived.  The time to go with your gut.  "Away.  From Section 31."  Stark sat quiet a moment, tapping his index finger on the rim of his liquor glass.  Perhaps a new attack vector was required.

"Captain T'Koris...why are you still in the service?"

The moments of silence were excruciating to the young Romulan as she tried to read Stark's rather impressive poker face in an effort to determine just what his next move was going to be.  SHe had to admit that he was good.  Very good at this game.  

The question came out of what seemed like no where and she also stayed quiet for a moment, analysing it in her head for any hidden motives or traps.  There didn't seem to be any, and it was a question that he had asked her on several previous occasions.  At least now she could give him the full answer.

"As I've said before, sir, Starfleet is my home.  Even after the Yristian incident where Gabriel and I took extended medical leave, I still wanted to come back.  That is the truth of the matter.  Unfortunately, it's become a little more... complicated than that.  My handler came to me when the reactivation orders were sent out, to ensure that I took the position as captain of the Phoenix.  Even if I wanted to leave the service, they would never allow it."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

The moments of silence were excruciating to the young Romulan as she tried to read Stark's rather impressive poker face in an effort to determine just what his next move was going to be.  SHe had to admit that he was good.  Very good at this game.  

The question came out of what seemed like no where and she also stayed quiet for a moment, analysing it in her head for any hidden motives or traps.  There didn't seem to be any, and it was a question that he had asked her on several previous occasions.  At least now she could give him the full answer.

"As I've said before, sir, Starfleet is my home.  Even after the Yristian incident where Gabriel and I took extended medical leave, I still wanted to come back.  That is the truth of the matter.  Unfortunately, it's become a little more... complicated than that.  My handler came to me when the reactivation orders were sent out, to ensure that I took the position as captain of the Phoenix.  Even if I wanted to leave the service, they would never allow it."

"I understand wanting to come back," Stark nodded. "The life isn't one that is easily let go of, despite what other commitments that enter our world. And, believe me, captain, I'm the last person in the world that is going to judge someone for the familial choices they make in the line of duty." Conor had lived a better life without him, of that Corman was sure. He was immensely proud of his son.

And, no matter what he told himself about what Alysandra wanted...the fact was, he chose the captain's chair over a father's life. "But it goes a long way in explaining the almost pathological resistance you and Commander Arthur have to providing a safer environment for your children than the vacuum of space."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
"I understand wanting to come back," Stark nodded.  "The life isn't one that is easily let go of, despite what other commitments that enter our world.  And, believe me, captain, I'm the last person in the world that is going to judge someone for the familial choices they make in the line of duty."  Conor had lived a better life without him, of that Corman was sure.  He was immensely proud of his son.  

And, no matter what he told himself about what Alysandra wanted...the fact was, he chose the captain's chair over a father's life.  "But it goes a long way in explaining the almost pathological resistance you and Commander Arthur have to providing a safer environment for your children than the vacuum of space."

It would have been easy enough to brush off the comment about being attached to her children, to play it down as being unimportant and unrelated to why she was here, but Archangel had agreed not to holdback information during this meeting and her unfortunate dedication to duty wouldn't let her skimp on that.

"I need to keep them close to me, sir," she replied. "I would be the first to admit that I made a bad decision and didn't take the time to learn more about what I was getting in to. This was before Aria was born, before Commander Arthur and I began our relationship. The only defense I have is that I was afraid and the offer they made alleviated some of that fear." She shook her head. "They didn't lie to me, but they certainly didn't tell the whole truth."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

It would have been easy enough to brush off the comment about being attached to her children, to play it down as being unimportant and unrelated to why she was here, but Archangel had agreed not to holdback information during this meeting and her unfortunate dedication to duty wouldn't let her skimp on that.

"I need to keep them close to me, sir," she replied.  "I would be the first to admit that I made a bad decision and didn't take the time to learn more about what I was getting in to.  This was before Aria was born, before Commander Arthur and I began our relationship.  The only defense I have is that I was afraid and the offer they made alleviated some of that fear."  She shook her head.  "They didn't lie to me, but they certainly didn't tell the whole truth."

"Gifts with hooks." It wasn't really a question, more of a statement. "We're Starfleet, don't know know? We don't lie." He gave a quick smile, one that was touched with the sardonic. "Of course, the truth you think you hear may not be what you heard at all."

Stark took a second or two to pour himself a little more drink. It was way after hours, anyway. And this was the kind of conversation that demanded whiskey to flow. He didn't even feel bad about drinking alone. "Your heritage, of course," he finally said, taking up the glass and motioning to her with it. "I guess that's why they recruited you? One foot on Earth, the other on Romulus. Smart." Taking a slow sip, he sat the heavy-bottomed glass down. "Of course, the Roms have started to thaw a little bit. Back in the war, especially, but relations now are probably better than they have been since...hell, for a hundred years, at least."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
"Gifts with hooks."  It wasn't really a question, more of a statement.  "We're Starfleet, don't know know?  We don't lie."  He gave a quick smile, one that was touched with the sardonic.  "Of course, the truth you think you hear may not be what you heard at all."  

Stark took a second or two to pour himself a little more drink.  It was way after hours, anyway.  And this was the kind of conversation that demanded whiskey to flow.  He didn't even feel bad about drinking alone.  "Your heritage, of course," he finally said, taking up the glass and motioning to her with it.  "I guess that's why they recruited you?  One foot on Earth, the other on Romulus.  Smart."  Taking a slow sip, he sat the heavy-bottomed glass down.  "Of course, the Roms have started to thaw a little bit.  Back in the war, especially, but relations now are probably better than they have been since...hell, for a hundred years, at least."

No, Starfleet didn't lie and, as much as Starfleet liked to pretend that they didn't exist, Section 31 were still affiliated with them, no matter how distantly. She stayed silent on that subject, feeling that she didn't have much to add to it, content to watch as Stark poured himself another drink and try to discern his next move.

"I'm well aware of how 'relations' with the Star Empire have been over the last few years," she replied, a distinct tone of bitterness edging her voice before she shook her head and had the good grace to look a little embarrassed. "My apologies, sir, that was irrelevant. Yes, they were interested in my heritage, my father's position was of definite interest to them. I was told during a... debriefing that they had been watching me since my birth, as they do with all Federation citizens of interest."

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

No, Starfleet didn't lie and, as much as Starfleet liked to pretend that they didn't exist, Section 31 were still affiliated with them, no matter how distantly.  She stayed silent on that subject, feeling that she didn't have much to add to it, content to watch as Stark poured himself another drink and try to discern his next move.  

"I'm well aware of how 'relations' with the Star Empire have been over the last few years," she replied, a distinct tone of bitterness edging her voice before she shook her head and had the good grace to look a little embarrassed.  "My apologies, sir, that was irrelevant.  Yes, they were interested in my heritage, my father's position was of definite interest to them.  I was told during a... debriefing that they had been watching me since my birth, as they do with all Federation citizens of interest."

Stark heard the salt in T'Koris' tone, but he let it slide. The whole 'permission to speak freely' thing was kind of a given in a situation like this, anyway. He waved the request for forgiveness away, sipping his drink. "So. Section 31's got hooks in you because of your heritage. And that includes your family, too."

Standing, Corman walked over to the viewport, taking the glass with him. Athena was quiet at this time of shift - only a few freighters moving in and out, the Phoenix, the April, and the Endeavour connected by umbilical. Sighing softly, he turned back to the Romulan. "I feel for you, captain. I really do. But...you may be overestimating my connections into Starfleet's wetworks. What, exactly, is it that you want me to do?"

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Stark heard the salt in T'Koris' tone, but he let it slide.  The whole 'permission to speak freely' thing was kind of a given in a situation like this, anyway.  He waved the request for forgiveness away, sipping his drink.  "So.  Section 31's got hooks in you because of your heritage.  And that includes your family, too."  

Standing, Corman walked over to the viewport, taking the glass with him.  Athena was quiet at this time of shift - only a few freighters moving in and out, the Phoenix, the April, and the Endeavour connected by umbilical.  Sighing softly, he turned back to the Romulan.  "I feel for you, captain.  I really do.  But...you may be overestimating my connections into Starfleet's wetworks.  What, exactly, is it that you want me to do?"

As Stark walked over to the viewport, Archangel sat back in her chair, rubbing her brow ridges and hoping that the headache she was developing was just a small one. She couldn't afford to get a large one at that point.

"To be honest, sir, I don't know. I guess I figured that you would have had dealings with them, but you've never come across as someone who'd subscribe to their bullshit. You seemed like the best person to go to." She sighed heavily, running a hand over her hair, her defeat showing through her careful composure for a moment before she caught it and shoved it back down.

Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

As Stark walked over to the viewport, Archangel sat back in her chair, rubbing her brow ridges and hoping that the headache she was developing was just a small one.  She couldn't afford to get a large one at that point.

"To be honest, sir, I don't know.  I guess I figured that you would have had dealings with them, but you've never come across as someone who'd subscribe to their bullshit.  You seemed like the best person to go to."  She sighed heavily, running a hand over her hair, her defeat showing through her careful composure for a moment before she caught it and shoved it back down.

Stark leaned against the transparent aluminum viewport, chuckling lightly despite the gravity of the situation. He raised his glass to her, finishing the contents and walking back over to the desk. "Flattery'll get you everywhere, T'Koris," he murmured, sitting on the protruding corner and facing her. "Fact is, you're exactly right. I know that intel services have their place in any government - no matter how benign - and that it's been that way from the beginning of time. However...some of the things I've heard about this 31 group. Well."

Crossing his arms, he leaned back a little, giving the young Romulan a considering look. And that's what she was, too - young. Maybe thirty? No more than thirty-five, though it was hard to tell with Vulcanoids. No much older than Conor, all things considered. "Bullshit, indeed. I'll...start making some contacts. I have more than most would imagine, though I haven't shaken those particular limbs in years. Perhaps the right word here or there might convince your people that their time would better be spent on another...investment."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Stark leaned against the transparent aluminum viewport, chuckling lightly despite the gravity of the situation.  He raised his glass to her, finishing the contents and walking back over to the desk.  "Flattery'll get you everywhere, T'Koris," he murmured, sitting on the protruding corner and facing her.  "Fact is, you're exactly right.  I know that intel services have their place in any government - no matter how benign - and that it's been that way from the beginning of time.  However...some of the things I've heard about this 31 group.  Well."

Crossing his arms, he leaned back a little, giving the young Romulan a considering look.  And that's what she was, too - young.  Maybe thirty?  No more than thirty-five, though it was hard to tell with Vulcanoids.  No much older than Conor, all things considered.  "Bullshit, indeed.  I'll...start making some contacts.  I have more than most would imagine, though I haven't shaken those particular limbs in years.  Perhaps the right word here or there might convince your people that their time would better be spent on another...investment."

Although she didn't want to let herself feel too much of it at the time, lest it all come to nothing, Archangel couldn't stop the brief flash of relief that crossed her face, nor the slight easing of the tension in her shoulders.

"I'd certainly appreciate you trying, sir, and I imagine my medical staff will be amongst the first to thank you. I think they're getting rather tired of my turning up at all hours of the night in far more pieces than I can explain."

Her expression grew a little more serious. "If possible, I would rather you didn't tell Ga- Commander Arthur about this. The last time I talk to him about it, it was when I was put on temporary leave from their services, as it were. He doesn't know that leave was over a while ago."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]   Today at 12:44 pm

Back to top Go down

The Last Resort [Corman Stark / Archangel T'Koris]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: Starbase Athena :: Shore Leave-
Jump to: