Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Participated in the first mission
Founding Member

PostSubject: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:08 am

[Promenade - Starbase Athena]

Deacon was not having a good day. For a start, the Phoenix had docked to pick up supplies and grant her crew a couple of days shoreleave. Everything to do with that ship seemed to breed headaches. Also, it was rarely a good day when people from the diplomatic corps decided to drop by the Athena for a visit to see how their relationship with the Klingon and Romulan Empires were going. It just made for one even larger headache for her. Despite her father's wishes, diplomacy was not something that particularly interested Rachel, not even though she was good at it.

This day was even worse. The delegation visiting her happened to be from Vulcan, and included her parents. Such an embarrassment for the commanding Admiral of the Starbase, to have her father walking through the Promenade, quite happily commenting on every little thing he saw. Thankfully, Rachel was well practised in keeping her poker face.

"Yes, father, I am encouraging civilians to come to the base and bring commerce to the Promenade," she replied to yet another comment. Her head ached slightly more than usual, usually a sign that her VISOR wasn't calibrated correctly. "My apologies, father, but I believe that I need to go and find an Engineering officer."

Archangel T'Koris | Ilana Telak | Rachel Deacon | Zero Alpha | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"Life isn't about finding shelter in the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.aurorafleet.org
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:46 pm

[Starbase Athena - Promenade]

Leela was strolling along the Promenade at a leisurely pace, with her hand clasped together behind her back. Captain T'Koris had made her aware that the Admiral may be seeking her out regarding a diplomatic meeting. But for the time being she was content to take in the promenade. As she came around the corner she noticed a face that was all to familiar. A familiarity that transcended lifetimes. Is that... That's John! She thought to herself as the face became clearer. She knew that Admiral Deacon was the daughter of John Deacon but she never expected to bump into him on the station.

Juval seemed to take over. She wanted nothing more than to run up and tap him on the shoulder for a heartfelt reunion. Juval was one of his mentors. John had been a junior diplomat while Juval held the posting of chief diplomat.

Leela stepped towards the small group that was lost in conversation. Rachel looked visibly frustrated but Leela barely noticed. "John..." She whispered. With a slight cough she cleared her throat and quickly remembered protocol. To her he was a young man. But to him, she would be just a girl, an Ensign no less. "Excuse me sirs. Are you John Deacon?" She looked up to the man. He towered over her. It felt odd because as Juval they had been about the same height.

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

John Deacon did not look at all amused as a young officer confronted him, raising one eyebrow in a manner that he must have learned from his Vulcan colleagues. This officer seemed to know him, no less, which really should have told her that he didn't enjoy being approached by the junior ranks of Starfleet.

"One of yours, Rachel?" he asked.

With a quiet sigh, she shook her head. "Father, this is Ensign Leela Kaz of the USS Phoenix. Ensign Kaz, Ambassador Deacon."

"Kaz, hm?" John observed the spots for a moment. "A joined Trill, by any chance?"

Archangel T'Koris | Ilana Telak | Rachel Deacon | Zero Alpha | Mira | Persephone M'Rai
"Life isn't about finding shelter in the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Leela smiled as the realization of who she actually was struck his mind. "Yes John, its me Kaz!" She laughed and released her hands from her back as she took a noticeably more casual posture. "New body, obviously, but same old Kaz... Well more or less. I joined Starfleet after joining, somehow it just felt right." Her mind raced with the memories of their shared past. John was so young in those days. Juval had taken to calling him 'tadpole.' Much to his Chagrin, of course. "So how about you... tadpole."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:14 pm

This time it was Rachel's turn to raise her eyebrows at she listened to the conversation. Before Kaz had spoken, she and her father had been mirrors of each other in the way that they held themselves, their arms folded behind their backs and stiff postures, but now Ambassador Deacon seemed to relax a little, even drop a little of the decorum.

"Well, you always did enjoy looking at the young ladies," John replied with a smile. "Now you don't even have to leave your quarters to do that." The use of an old nickname from when he had been a junior diplomat under Juval's instruction brought a slight cough of embarrassment from him as he glanced at Rachel, but his daughter's poker face was as strong as ever. "Well, you'll be pleased to know that I took over from you on Vulcan."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:07 am

Leela chuckled along with John. "That's the truth. We had some good times in those days." The memories swirled around her mind as she thought of all of the experiences Juval had shared with the, then young, officer. "Remember those twins on..." Leela coughed and cleared her throat as she abruptly remembered the company they were with. This probably was not the best story for his wife and daughter to hear. "Excuse me... I'll save that one for another time... But the years have certainly been good to you. Ive kept up with your career. Congratulations! Juval would have been proud. You were born to be a diplomat."

She paused as the laughter subsided. "I'll tell you something that Juval would have never admitted. He was insanely jealous of you, at times. You were a born diplomat. But for him the road was much tougher. It was a skill he developed in the field, with decades of practice."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:04 am

As soon as Leela mentioned the twins, John had glanced briefly at his wife and daughter, the former of whom had raised one eyebrow at him, the latter apparently far more interested in the bulkhead. Thankfully, the Trill saw better than to bring up the rest of that story in front of them.

Unfortunately, the comment about John being born to be a diplomat seemed to create new tensions between the three Deacons.

"Perhaps we should catch up over a drink, what do you say, Kaz?" John quickly diverted.

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 am

Leela smiled. "I would enjoy the John." She looked over to Valery and Rachel and nodded. "Mrs. Deacon. And Admiral, we will catch up with you shortly." Leela turned to John and placed a hand on his shoulder. "The Ferengi has a pretty nice place. The prices are outrageous but the company is good."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:10 am

Rachel and her mother inclined their heads to the two friends before continuing on in their tour of the starbase. Now alone with his old friend, John seemed to relax a little further, gesturing for Leela to lead the way.

She had been right about the price of the drinks, but that was to be expected when dealing with the Ferengi. As an ambassador, John was on a better stipend than Leela, so he bought her drink, letting her choose the best place to sit.

Taking a sip of his Starduster, he smiled at the Trill. "So, how's Starfleet been treating you this time around?"

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:53 am

"I see your still drinking those concoctions." She chuckled as the Ferengi brought her over a Vulcan Brandy without even having an order from her. "Are you sure I can't get you to try this stuff. Ive only been trying for twenty years. This is the greatest thing to ever come out of Vulcan." She let out a raucous laughter and then began to shift to Johns question. "You know how it is... Same old Starfleet. But the new uniforms are nice." She said running her hands along the sides of her outfit.

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:03 pm

"Why should I change what I drink? These work just fine," John joked back, shaking his head at the Trill. "I never understood your tolerance to strong alcohol."

He took another sip, listening to Leela's reply and smiling slightly. "No chance of persuading you to come back to the diplomatic corps, then? I did have hopes of recruiting someone else, but that didn't happen. Quite spectacularly didn't happen."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Leela laughed as she took a pause to ponder life as a diplomat. "Its a tempting offer, John." The tone of her voice shifted and became more serious. While the thought of being a diplomat did have its appeal. Leela was still young in this iteration of her Starfleet career. "Maybe in a couple of decades. But I think I have to work back up. For now I'm enjoying being an engineer. Juval wouldn't of appreciated this, but its fun getting my hands dirty"

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:52 pm

"In a couple of decades, I hope to be retired," John replied, shaking his head slightly. "It was only a passing thought, although you're right about one thing: Juval would definitely be having kittens if he had any say in what you were doing now, playing in the dirty environs of an engine room!" He chuckled quietly at that thought. Despite his past hosts, Juval had never had even a passing interest in how starships operated, which made the Kaz host's current position all the funnier to him. "If I'm completely honest with you, I had hoped that Rach- Admiral Deacon would be the one to follow in my footsteps, but I think you can see how that turned out."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:28 pm

"Now come on John. Didn't Juval teach you better than that." Leela smiled and pushed down another drink as the bartender set a new one in front of her. Interacting with John was bringing Juval close to the surface. She was starting to even display some of his mannerisms and inflections. "Juval tried to warn you. They never do what you want them to." She leaned in closer and whispered. "I'm convinced that they do it on purpose." She leaned back and brought her voice back to normal volume. "But you're right about one thing... Juval wouldn't be caught dead working for a living. You know how he was. He preferred to skirt by on as little work as possible."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:33 pm

John sighed, playing with his still half-full glass. "Yes, he was right about that too. None of us saw it coming. She was doing so well in taking in what I taught her then suddenly, one day, she was gone. No note, nothing!" He paused then and shook his head. "Perhaps I shouldn't be discussing this with an officer under her command, even if they were an old friend in another life."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:40 pm

"Its alright. I was a diplomat, remember, I know secrets." She let out a slight chuckle. "The truth is... Why aren't you just happy that she's happy. What more can you ask for?" Leela put her drink on the bar and set up a little straighter. "I wouldn't worry about her. Look how well she's done for herself. The problem was you and not her." She stopped herself and saw him becoming slightly agitated. "Listen to your elders..." She laughed breaking up a tense moment. "You imprinted all of your dreams and desires. When did you ask her what she wanted? Its not like she is commanding a ferengi garbage vessel? Right John?"

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:50 pm

The diplomat sat back in his chair, shaking his head once again at the Trill. It still felt strange to be talking about his problems with his daughter to the young woman in front of him, but the more they spoke, the more she seemed to become Juval again.

"Wouldn't worry about her? Kaz, I should definitely be worried about her. It was bad enough when she was serving on a starship, but here? Right in the centre of the borders between the Federation and two Empires we used to be at war with? She's not exactly the sturdiest of people. At least if she'd stayed on Vulcan with me, she would have been safe from all of this."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:22 pm

"Remember when she was born... Remember how frail she seemed..." Leela began as she began to re-establish a lost connection. It was strange because she hadn't really thought of Rachel's childhood until she had sat with her father. "You and Valery were her world. She relied on you for everything. And you asked me what it would be like when she got older... I mean Juval... You asked Juval... And he told you the hardest part was letting go. John, she is a capable officer all on her own. She doesn't need you in the same way she used to. But don't let her lie, she still needs you and she always will."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

After taking another mouthful of his drink, John sighed. He remembered the day clearly when Rachel had been born. She had been so frail and weak, completely reliant on Vulcan medical technology just to keep her alive for the first two years of her life. Hundreds of hours spent in surgery to correct malformations. Thousands of hours in physiotherapy.

"She was so small," he replied, his voice a little strained. "Even once all the surgeries were over and she was fit enough to go to school with the other children, Valery and I didn't want to let her. I suppose that at the age of 6, it's hard to understand why your parents won't let you play with the other kids, or why your brothers are allowed to do things you can't." He shook his head, his expression growing fond. "Remember that time when she was about six and we'd just been away for a week? You came back to the house with me for dinner and as soon as she heard our voices, she came bolting down the hall, only to go flying head first into you because she couldn't see the cases on the floor and she tripped over them?"

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:35 am

Leela laughed at the recollection of the incident. "I remember." Leela acknowledged shaking her head. "Those were some tough years for your family. I frankly don't know how you and Val held it together. And you're right. At the age of six it is tough to understand what's going on. But she's not a little girls anymore and those experiences have only served to make her stronger. You have to let go. You did it, John, she turned out alright." This happened to Leela far more often than her comfort level permitted. Here she was giving re-assurance to a man twice her age. Ever since joining she had begun to feel like an old soul trapped in a young body. It was an awkward experience.

"And that's worth celebrating." She added holding her drink up.

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 am

John laughed along with Leela, clinking his glass against hers before his expression turned serious again. "It's a parent's job to worry about their kids," he replied. "I'm sure you did at some point in all those lives you had. Did any of your children ever run away?"

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Leela thought about it for a moment. She had never had to think like a parent but Kaz had been a parent several times. "Well... I've been a mother five times and a father five times also. So I guess I've had my fair share of experience. But I've never had one runaway... I remember Jereda's son being quite a handful though." She thought about it for a moment. "But the truth was, Jared was probably more in love with those warp engines than he was with his child. Its sad, a hard pill to swallow, but probably the truth. I can remember the constant fear though. Staying up late every night. Preta was notorious... she loved those kids more than life itself. Anytime they were away from her she would spend hours pacing the floor."

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:46 pm

John sighed again, playing with his glass in one hand and watching the remaining liquid sloshing around the sides. "I can't tell you what that night was like. I suppose if you've never had your kid run off on you, you can't really know what it feels like. She was sixteen at the time. She'd been with me most of the night at a diplomatic function but retired early because of a headache. I went to check on her when I got home, but she'd already gone. Three days later, the recruitment office on Starbase 74 called to say that they'd found her and that she'd enlisted with them that morning."

Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:06 pm

"Wow." Leela finished another drink as John told his story. "I can't imagine what that must of been like. Did you know she wanted to join?"

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:13 pm

"Never said a word about it," John replied, taking another sip of his drink. "Never showed any interest in it either. Came completely out of left field. The recruitment officer put her on the next shuttle heading for Vulcan and said that he'd put the application on hold for the time being. Eventually, after a lot of arguing and a few days of her not speaking to us, we agreed that she could join, but that she would go to the Academy and pursue the officer track." He shook his heads. "I've been to some incredibly tense diplomatic summits, but nothing beats having a pissed off teenager in your house."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]   Today at 3:11 am

Back to top Go down

Old Friends With New Faces [Deacon/Kaz]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: Starbase Athena :: Shore Leave-
Jump to: