Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Participated in the first mission
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

[Turbolift]

The mix of emotions that surged through Corman's blood was noxious.  He was upset.  No, he was furious.  At Starfleet Medical, at Starfleet in general...

And, if he was honest...at himself.

He should be over this by now.  The Cardassian War was a damn decade and a half ago.  Another time, another place...another lifetime ago.  Some things never change, do they? he thought, as the 'lift doors slid open.  No, they didn't, and Cardassia's actions in the Dominion War proved that point.

[Deacon's Office]

Corman quietly stepped into the admiral's office, idly wondering if he had his own, as well.  He should probably ask Ops.  Without a word, he took up a stance next to the viewport, watching the SCE spacebees at work.  

"You could have told me."

[Admiral Deacon's Office]

Rachel was surprised by how calm Admiral Stark seemed to be. She had expected raging and yelling, but he appeared to be quite composed. Appeared. His physiological responses, visible through her VISOR, were all over the place, testimony to his emotional state.

"Would warning you have helped? Would it have changed the fact that we have on board medical personnel who belongs to a species you find distasteful?" She sat back in her chair, observing her first officer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aurorafleet.org
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

Rachel was surprised by how calm Admiral Stark seemed to be.  She had expected raging and yelling, but he appeared to be quite composed.  Appeared.  His physiological responses, visible through her VISOR, were all over the place, testimony to his emotional state.

"Would warning you have helped?  Would it have changed the fact that we have on board medical personnel who belongs to a species you find distasteful?"  She sat back in her chair, observing her first officer.  

[Deacon's Office]

Stonily silent for a bit longer, Corman took a deep breath, sighing as he leaned against the window. He gave a small wince as he realized he was probably leaving fingerprints on Deacon's window. Not that she could see them anyway, but...still, he wiped the transparent aluminum with the sleeve of his uniform.

Finally, he turned to face his colleague. "I...no," he quietly said, leaning against the duranium port frame. Sighing again, Corman scratched the tip of his ear, a nervous habit of his. Not that he was actually nervous. He honestly couldn't remember the last time that he was.

"You're right, Admiral. I do find Cardassians distasteful. My job isn't to piss on your leg and tell you it's rain, and I'm not going to start doing it now. I don't know how much of my service record you have access to, but...anyway." He shrugged. "You'll have nothing but professionalism from me, ma'am."

Click the card for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

[Deacon's Office]

Stonily silent for a bit longer, Corman took a deep breath, sighing as he leaned against the window.  He gave a small wince as he realized he was probably leaving fingerprints on Deacon's window.  Not that she could see them anyway, but...still, he wiped the transparent aluminum with the sleeve of his uniform.

Finally, he turned to face his colleague.  "I...no," he quietly said, leaning against the duranium port frame.  Sighing again, Corman scratched the tip of his ear, a nervous habit of his.  Not that he was actually nervous.  He honestly couldn't remember the last time that he was.  

"You're right, Admiral.  I do find Cardassians distasteful.  My job isn't to piss on your leg and tell you it's rain, and I'm not going to start doing it now.  I don't know how much of my service record you have access to, but...anyway."  He shrugged.  "You'll have nothing but professionalism from me, ma'am."

Rachel sighed, a soft noise that was strange coming from her. She pulled off her VISOR, setting it aside and rubbing her temples.

"Ensign Telak comes from a small group of Cardassian refugees, deserters and families from Bajor looking to escape the Union. I have read the entirety of your personnel file and know of your dislike for the Cardassian people." She clasped her hands, her index fingers together and pointing upward in the classic Vulcan meditation pose. She rested her forehead against her hands.

"I expect professionalism from you, but I also expect you to treat Ensign Telak in the same manner as you would treat any other officer. Her personnel records indicate that she has a severe speech impairment and is already very aware of how her presence is disliked by many officers. As a member of our crew, it is our duty to ensure that she is both protected and provided with the same environment as the others within which she may grow."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

Rachel sighed, a soft noise that was strange coming from her.  She pulled off her VISOR, setting it aside and rubbing her temples.

"Ensign Telak comes from a small group of Cardassian refugees, deserters and families from Bajor looking to escape the Union.  I have read the entirety of your personnel file and know of your dislike for the Cardassian people."  She clasped her hands, her index fingers together and pointing upward in the classic Vulcan meditation pose.  She rested her forehead against her hands.

"I expect professionalism from you, but I also expect you to treat Ensign Telak in the same manner as you would treat any other officer.  Her personnel records indicate that she has a severe speech impairment and is already very aware of how her presence is disliked by many officers.  As a member of our crew, it is our duty to ensure that she is both protected and provided with the same environment as the others within which she may grow."

[Deacon's Office]

Corman rubbed his own temples, a subconscious mirror of his superior's action.  There really seemed like no other action to succinctly sum up how he felt right now.  "I understand," he quietly said.  He felt as if he should say more, but for the life of him...more would not come.

He turned around, looking back out the viewport, his own reflection staring back at him, a cold afterimage interspersed with twinkling lights.  He could also barely see Deacon's face in the reflection.  Corman remembered that Rachel was raised among Vulcans...and diplomats.  That's why you're better at this bullshit than I am, he thought, wishing once again for the comparative simplicity of the captain's seat.  

Then again...

"You're right, of course," he said, his voice low.  "I'd expect the same from anyone on my own crew."  Slowly, Corman walked over to the replicator, ordering a cup of black, steaming coffee from it.  He took a long sip, and was quiet yet again.

And then he spoke.  "We were lieutenants on the Tucker, David Valen and I.  Young and arrogant and full of piss and fire.  Back during the war days, there were plenty opportunities for stuff like that.  Not unlike the late unpleasantness," he said, taking a long sip before continuing.  "Though, there's a difference between being the grunt and the one who calls the shots."  

He settled down in the chair in front of Deacon's desk, his greyish eyes taking on a distant cast.  "Our away team got caught in an ambush on a satellite outpost.  Those of us that survived were taken and held by the Cardassians.  You know the drill from here.  Torture, question, torture...rinse, repeat.  There were four of us.  David Valen, my best friend.  Marise Kala.  Andrew Martin.  I'm the only one that was left alive by the time Captain Hale tracked us down and came in with the Tucker's guns blazing."

Sighing again, he shook his head.  "But...that's why we're here, isn't it?  To move on from the past.  Such an easy thing to talk about."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

[Deacon's Office]

Corman rubbed his own temples, a subconscious mirror of his superior's action.  There really seemed like no other action to succinctly sum up how he felt right now.  "I understand," he quietly said.  He felt as if he should say more, but for the life of him...more would not come.

He turned around, looking back out the viewport, his own reflection staring back at him, a cold afterimage interspersed with twinkling lights.  He could also barely see Deacon's face in the reflection.  Corman remembered that Rachel was raised among Vulcans...and diplomats.  That's why you're better at this bullshit than I am, he thought, wishing once again for the comparative simplicity of the captain's seat.  

Then again...

"You're right, of course," he said, his voice low.  "I'd expect the same from anyone on my own crew."  Slowly, Corman walked over to the replicator, ordering a cup of black, steaming coffee from it.  He took a long sip, and was quiet yet again.

And then he spoke.  "We were lieutenants on the Tucker, David Valen and I.  Young and arrogant and full of piss and fire.  Back during the war days, there were plenty opportunities for stuff like that.  Not unlike the late unpleasantness," he said, taking a long sip before continuing.  "Though, there's a difference between being the grunt and the one who calls the shots."  

He settled down in the chair in front of Deacon's desk, his greyish eyes taking on a distant cast.  "Our away team got caught in an ambush on a satellite outpost.  Those of us that survived were taken and held by the Cardassians.  You know the drill from here.  Torture, question, torture...rinse, repeat.  There were four of us.  David Valen, my best friend.  Marise Kala.  Andrew Martin.  I'm the only one that was left alive by the time Captain Hale tracked us down and came in with the Tucker's guns blazing."

Sighing again, he shook his head.  "But...that's why we're here, isn't it?  To move on from the past.  Such an easy thing to talk about."

Unable to see her colleague, Rachel relied on the sound of soft footfalls and the creaking of the furniture to know where he was. She traced the outlines of the implants on her temples.

"Yes, it is always easy to talk about leaving emotions behind," she replied. "I would ask that you attempt to put aside your feelings towards Cardassians. Start with Ensign Telak. I am sure that you will find her an easy candidate from which to learn that not all of her race are to be hated."

The woman looked up at where she judged Stark to be sitting. "My apologies, Mr Stark. I appear to be rambling."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:35 pm

[Botany Lab Two]

Raynor Hughes was happier than a targ in crap.

Things had finally seemed like they were starting to go his way a little bit.  The cessation of hostilities with the Dominion and the handful of years that followed it brought in a new era of cooperation between the Empire and the Federation.  Along with it came the resurrection of the Exchange Officer program, and Chancellor Martok's council's decision that he be one of the first candidates, owing to his dual heritage.  

So here he was, wearing the more freeing uniform of the KDF instead of his Starfleet teal.  Well, he was partially wearing one.  The heavy metallic armor sat alone in a chair, leaving Raynor only in his black undershirt.  Much easier to get work done, that way.  Along with his new commission had come the welcome news that he would be serving with Ilana Telak, the closest friend he had in the galaxy.  The pair of them were quite happy to see the amount of space the station had dedicated to both the arboretum and airponics areas.

And speaking of plants...

Raynor studied the silvery duranium case resting on the tabletop in front of him.  Keying in his access code, he heard the telltale hsss of a hermetically-sealed stasis opening.  A slow grin spread over the Klingon's face as he beheld the beautiful plant pods held within.  Gently, Raynor carefully pulled the potted plant out and set it on the table, running his tricorder over the flora.

"Hello there, beautiful," the Klingon rumbled, admiring the heavy pods.

Click the ID card for full bio!

Retired[/i]
Back to top Go down
Chira Abols
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Most Loveable

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Henriks Ābols wrote:

There was little Henriks could do but watch the encounter between the admiral and the ensign. Neither of them seemed to be enjoying it, one trying to hold back animosity and the other fear. Admiral Stark offered formalities, but they were just that, formal and stiff. Telak replied, stammering like a frightened sheep.

"Alright then, I'll jot you down for the end of the week, sir," Henriks said at last. The admiral seemed most eager to get out of sickbay, and Henriks wasn't one to stop him. Once sickbay returned to its normal population of just blueshirts, Henriks turned to Telak to see if she was alright.

"I'm not sure we've  properly met," he said. Yes, he knew the names and faces of all the staff, but all that information could be gotten from medical files. I hope you're settling in alright?"

Ilana wrote:
Ilana breathed out a quiet sigh of relief at Admiral Stark's departure, her shoulder's instantly relaxing and closing her eyes. She even sagged against the wall, folding her arms over her stomach. As he spoke, she looked up at Henriks and forced a smile.

"I-I th-th-thought I w-w-was."

[Sickbay]

Leaning against a console, Chira let out a long, low whistle as Admiral Stark stalked out of sickbay. For a moment, she felt like a spectator, watching a maglev train wreck. The moment didn't last, however, as it was painfully obvious that Doctor Telak was upset...let alone the admiral that left like a stormcloud. Well...she could only deal with what was in front of her.

Chira slipped her hand into Henriks', giving it a little squeeze. "Well. That was...interesting," she murmured. Smiling at Ilana, she nodded. "Doctor Telak, I don't think we've met, either. I'm Chira Arthur...it's good to meet you."

Click the ID for full bio!

Retired
Back to top Go down
Henriks Ābols
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Surgeon's Distinction
Art Contribution
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Chira Arthur wrote:

[Sickbay]

Leaning against a console, Chira let out a long, low whistle as Admiral Stark stalked out of sickbay.  For a moment, she felt like a spectator, watching a maglev train wreck.  The moment didn't last, however, as it was painfully obvious that Doctor Telak was upset...let alone the admiral that left like a stormcloud.  Well...she could only deal with what was in front of her.

Chira slipped her hand into Henriks', giving it a little squeeze.  "Well.  That was...interesting," she murmured.  Smiling at Ilana, she nodded.  "Doctor Telak, I don't think we've met, either.  I'm Chira Arthur...it's good to meet you."

[Sickbay]

A pleasant shiver went down his spine as he felt the warmth of her hand against his. "Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about him coming in often," Henriks said, to neither one of them in particular. Command staff on any ship, or starbase, seldom visited sickbay. But judging from the recent encounter, it seemed this would be especially true for the admiral.

"Miss Telak, I hope you will tell us if there's ever something we can do to help." Oswald had always made sickbay feel so safe, and Henriks hoped he'd be able to do the same. Oswald had never been afraid to speak her mind to the command staff either.

"Das Problem ist, die Menschen haben den Hang, genau das zu wählen, was am schlechtesten für sie ist."
-Dumbledore
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Henriks Ābols wrote:

[Sickbay]

A pleasant shiver went down his spine as he felt the warmth of her hand against his. "Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about him coming in often," Henriks said, to neither one of them in particular. Command staff on any ship, or starbase, seldom visited sickbay. But judging from the recent encounter, it seemed this would be especially true for the admiral.

"Miss Telak, I hope you will tell us if there's ever something we can do to help." Oswald had always made sickbay feel so safe, and Henriks hoped he'd be able to do the same. Oswald had never been afraid to speak her mind to the command staff either.

[Sickbay]

Ilana looked at the pair and forced a smile. She was aware of the relationship between the two of them, mainly from observation at Chira Arthur's brother's wedding not all that long ago as well as how they acted toward each other now. She envied them a little. She had hoped that one day she would meet a compatible mate, but she was isolated from her own kind, and most of the species she had encountered had been hostile toward her.

Like Admiral Stark.

"I-it i-is n-n-nice t-to m-m-meet y-you t-t-to, M-M-Miss A-Arthur," she managed to get out. "Th-th-thank y-y-you, b-b-both o-of y-y-you, b-b-but I sh-sh-should b-be g-g-going."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

[Corridors]

As Ser winked out of existence, Gabriel tucked the padd under his arm, turning to his wife, concern clearly painted across his face.  "Er...sure, Arch."  He had no problems calling her by her name, even if they were in public.  They technically weren't on duty.  Plus, they had the menagerie with them, which wasn't conducive to a hyper-professional environment.

With nothing else left to do but follow her onto the ship, Gabe did just that, wondering just what this was all about.

[USS Phoenix - Captain's Quarters]

The captain's quarters on the USS Phoenix were bare and Starfleet issue. The only difference they bore to those of any other ship were that these quarters had been amended for a family to live in. Their belongings had been transported from their temporary lodgings on the starbase to their new living space and now stood in storage crates in the middle of the lounge area floor.

Setting Aria down so that she could crawl off and explore, Archangel found Seika's gamePADD and set her off to play with it. Only then, when she was sure that the two girls were occupied, did she turn to Gabriel.

"Are we making the right choice?"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

The captain's quarters on the USS Phoenix were bare and Starfleet issue.  The only difference they bore to those of any other ship were that these quarters had been amended for a family to live in.  Their belongings had been transported from their temporary lodgings on the starbase to their new living space and now stood in storage crates in the middle of the lounge area floor.

Setting Aria down so that she could crawl off and explore, Archangel found Seika's gamePADD and set her off to play with it.  Only then, when she was sure that the two girls were occupied, did she turn to Gabriel.

"Are we making the right choice?"

Gabriel didn't exactly panic on the long walk to the ship. He saw crewmembers here and there, mostly engineers and operations officers, moving about in last-minute-panic mode like a punched hive of bees. Gabe nodded to them, giving a quick smile, pretending that his heart wasn't pounding in his ears. His wife seemed genuinely agitated by something, but you could hardly tell by looking at her inscrutable Romulan features. In fact, if he didn't know her as well as he did, he might have missed it, too.

Finally arriving at their destination, Gabriel gave a quick glance around. This was to be their new home, though there was still much unpacking to do. A lot of it. But that was a job for another day.

With the girls squared away, he reached out to take hold of his wife, rubbing her shoulders as she asked the same question he'd worried over again and again, ever since this assignment. He drew her close, kissing her forehead. Were they making the right choice? Gabe honestly had no idea, but he had a feeling that it was possible that they weren't.

"Angel," he quietly said. "This...is our life. It's who we are. I believe in you, e'lev. As does Starfleet." Smiling, he placed a quick peck on her lips. "Whatever we do, we do as a family. Together."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

Unable to see her colleague, Rachel relied on the sound of soft footfalls and the creaking of the furniture to know where he was.  She traced the outlines of the implants on her temples.

"Yes, it is always easy to talk about leaving emotions behind," she replied.  "I would ask that you attempt to put aside your feelings towards Cardassians.  Start with Ensign Telak.  I am sure that you will find her an easy candidate from which to learn that not all of her race are to be hated."

The woman looked up at where she judged Stark to be sitting.  "My apologies, Mr Stark.  I appear to be rambling."

[Deacon's Office]

"Put aside?" Corman shook his head, taking another drink of coffee. "I'm a professional, ma'am. And a soldier. I can take orders...and I will, trust me. This...I won't allow this to be a problem." Turning the cup around and around in his hands, Corman stared into the dark liquid that was left. "I wish it was that easy, just to shut it off. I really wish it was. This is our brave new world, isn't it? A new foundation of cooperation and understanding. Boldly going forward. A new world...with little room for wartime relics like prejudice and hatred. Like me."

He grinned, a somewhat dark expression. "Now I'm rambling."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Jonathan Hart
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:37 am

[USS Phoenix-Docking Port]

Jon stopped at the line that separated the ship from the station, reshouldering his bag. For some reason, he couldn't make the step across. Then he realized this was the last moments, of his old life. A life filled with little sleep, hard work and sacrifice, just to get to the door of his ultimate goal. And now here he was stand at that door. Something inside him hadn't let him move on till he realized that. Jon took a breath an step over the threshold.

[USS Phoenix-Brigde]

Jon enter the bridge, looked around. At first look, Jon didn't think much of it. Compact and brightly lit. But he felt... something. There was an energy to the place, like a promise of greater things to come. Jon found Sec/Tac station setting his bag down next to it. The console was lock, so he ran his hand over the surface, and wonder when he'd get to work here.

Post of the Month - Mission

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:38 am

Jonathan Hart wrote:

Jon enter the bridge, looked around.  At first look, Jon didn't think much of it.  Compact and brightly lit.  But he felt... something.  There was an energy to the place, like a promise of greater things to come.  Jon found Sec/Tac station setting his bag down next to it.  The console was lock, so he ran his hand over the surface, and wonder when he'd get to work here.  

[USS Phoenix - Bridge]

Senior Crewman Keldar

For about the tenth time, Keldar cursed as he bumped his protuberance on the cramped space beneath the console he was currently slaving away under.  He'd no idea that joining Starfleet would mean connecting so many things to other things.  Was this more satisfying that the pursuit of profit?  Possibly, yes...but greed was easier.  Oh well.  This was his life, now.  He wondered how many more would follow him into the service, taking the example of Lieutenant Nog...let alone the sweeping reforms of Nog's father, the Nagus.  Granted, those reforms were held up in board meetings, and could be until the end of time.  Still...it was a new world.

He jumped again at the sound of footfalls behind him.  Who in the galaxy could that be? the Ferengi thought, pulling himself from under the Sciences console, all the while rubbing his head.  "You there!  Er...sir," he amended, seeing the ranking on the man's collar.  He is hew-mon.  Remember how they value politeness.  "Is there anything I can help you with?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabriel didn't exactly panic on the long walk to the ship.  He saw crewmembers here and there, mostly engineers and operations officers, moving about in last-minute-panic mode like a punched hive of bees.  Gabe nodded to them, giving a quick smile, pretending that his heart wasn't pounding in his ears.  His wife seemed genuinely agitated by something, but you could hardly tell by looking at her inscrutable Romulan features.  In fact, if he didn't know her as well as he did, he might have missed it, too.

Finally arriving at their destination, Gabriel gave a quick glance around.  This was to be their new home, though there was still much unpacking to do.  A lot of it.  But that was a job for another day.  

With the girls squared away, he reached out to take hold of his wife, rubbing her shoulders as she asked the same question he'd worried over again and again, ever since this assignment.  He drew her close, kissing her forehead.  Were they making the right choice?  Gabe honestly had no idea, but he had a feeling that it was possible that they weren't.  

"Angel," he quietly said.  "This...is our life.  It's who we are.  I believe in you, e'lev.  As does Starfleet."  Smiling, he placed a quick peck on her lips.  "Whatever we do, we do as a family.  Together."

[Arthur-T'Koris Quarters]

In a rare gesture, Archangel stepped back from her husband's embrace. She knew that he was trying to reassure her in the manner that he always did, but that wasn't what she wanted at that point. She wanted to talk without her emotions of familiarity getting in the way.

"That's just it, Gabriel," she said, watching as Aria crawled over to an open crate, one containing Seika's stuffed menagerie, and pulled herself up to peep inside. "I met with Admirals Stark and Deacon. The more I talked to them, the more I wanted to take the girls and run back to Earth."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

[Deacon's Office]

"Put aside?"  Corman shook his head, taking another drink of coffee.  "I'm a professional, ma'am.  And a soldier.  I can take orders...and I will, trust me.  This...I won't allow this to be a problem."  Turning the cup around and around in his hands, Corman stared into the dark liquid that was left.  "I wish it was that easy, just to shut it off.  I really wish it was.  This is our brave new world, isn't it?  A new foundation of cooperation and understanding.  Boldly going forward.  A new world...with little room for wartime relics like prejudice and hatred.  Like me."  

He grinned, a somewhat dark expression.  "Now I'm rambling."  

[Deacon's Office]

Rachel's face betrayed little as she listened to her first officer. She could understand what he was saying, but not how to remedy the situation. She wasn't a counsellor. She couldn't see his grin, but could hear it in his voice.

Leaning back against her chair, she sighed softly. "This is not going to be an easy assignment. We must be both prepared for war and yet expecting peace."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
In a rare gesture, Archangel stepped back from her husband's embrace.  She knew that he was trying to reassure her in the manner that he always did, but that wasn't what she wanted at that point.  She wanted to talk without her emotions of familiarity getting in the way.

"That's just it, Gabriel," she said, watching as Aria crawled over to an open crate, one containing Seika's stuffed menagerie, and pulled herself up to peep inside.  "I met with Admirals Stark and Deacon.  The more I talked to them, the more I wanted to take the girls and run back to Earth."

[USS Phoenix - Arthur-T'Koris Quarters]

Gabe fought off a sigh as best he could, knowing that it wouldn't help anything, especially when she got this way. All he could do was school his face and hope the hurt of being pushed away, mentally and physically, from her.

He watched as Aria scrambled and reached into a crate, pulling Ollie the Owl out. Seika would probably be upset if she saw her sister chewing on the toy, but Aria seemed to have misplaced her drool-saturated plush Akira.

Coming back was your idea, he thought, but wisely said nothing to that effect. "What did they say? I've only met them briefly...Deacon seems distant, almost as if her mind is in a dozen places and steps ahead of you." He shrugged a little. "I think I liked Stark."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabe fought off a sigh as best he could, knowing that it wouldn't help anything, especially when she got this way.  All he could do was school his face and hope the hurt of being pushed away, mentally and physically, from her.  

He watched as Aria scrambled and reached into a crate, pulling Ollie the Owl out.  Seika would probably be upset if she saw her sister chewing on the toy, but Aria seemed to have misplaced her drool-saturated plush Akira.

Coming back was your idea, he thought, but wisely said nothing to that effect.  "What did they say?  I've only met them briefly...Deacon seems distant, almost as if her mind is in a dozen places and steps ahead of you."  He shrugged a little.  "I think I liked Stark."

[Arthur-T'Koris Quarters]

Gently taking the owl toy from Aria, Archangel substituted it for the starship plush that her youngest daughter favoured before walking over to the bank of windows that lined one wall of their quarters, looking out at the stars on the other side, arms folded behind her back.

"Admiral Deacon was... efficient," she replied. "Admiral Stark was, on the other hand, very nostalgic. He spoke as if the captain's chair was some hallowed prize, not the responsibility that it entails. It makes me wonder... It makes me wonder if I am too damaged to see this opportunity as it should be. If there isn't someone else more suited to this task."

There was someting in her that wanted him to agree, to tell her that they could turn around and go back to his family on Earth, because she knew that she could not.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Gently taking the owl toy from Aria, Archangel substituted it for the starship plush that her youngest daughter favoured before walking over to the bank of windows that lined one wall of their quarters, looking out at the stars on the other side, arms folded behind her back.

"Admiral Deacon was... efficient," she replied.  "Admiral Stark was, on the other hand, very nostalgic.  He spoke as if the captain's chair was some hallowed prize, not the responsibility that it entails.  It makes me wonder...  It makes me wonder if I am too damaged to see this opportunity as it should be.  If there isn't someone else more suited to this task."

There was someting in her that wanted him to agree, to tell her that they could turn around and go back to his family on Earth, because she knew that she could not.

It was hard, a little, to not just reach out and take her into his arms. Being embraced wasn't exactly what his wife wanted right now, though...and so, Gabriel just gave a small sigh, running his fingers through his short blonde hair.

"Stark...well. He just seems to be like that." Gabe shrugged. "There's no right or wrong way to do it, Arch, and you know that." Despite her earlier reaction, Gabriel couldn't help himself...he needed to feel close to her. Even now, even after everything, she still acted like she wanted to throw up walls as her natural reaction. Reaching up, he gently trailed the back of his fingers along her cheek, smiling.

"I won't lie to you, Angel," he said, pointedly ignoring the voice in his head that wondered if he was lying by not telling her outright that he'd rather be safe on Earth with her and the girls. "It's going to be rough. A ride we won't know the end of until we get there. But...I believe it will be worth it. It is worth it. All we have to do is...hold on. It's all we can do."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

It was hard, a little, to not just reach out and take her into his arms.  Being embraced wasn't exactly what his wife wanted right now, though...and so, Gabriel just gave a small sigh, running his fingers through his short blonde hair.  

"Stark...well.  He just seems to be like that."  Gabe shrugged.  "There's no right or wrong way to do it, Arch, and you know that."  Despite her earlier reaction, Gabriel couldn't help himself...he needed to feel close to her.  Even now, even after everything, she still acted like she wanted to throw up walls as her natural reaction.  Reaching up, he gently trailed the back of his fingers along her cheek, smiling.

"I won't lie to you, Angel," he said, pointedly ignoring the voice in his head that wondered if he was lying by not telling her outright that he'd rather be safe on Earth with her and the girls.  "It's going to be rough.  A ride we won't know the end of until we get there.  But...I believe it will be worth it.  It is worth it.  All we have to do is...hold on.  It's all we can do."

How could she tell him? Tell him about the night when she had woken up from a nightmare and slipped out of bed to get a cup of soothing tea from the lounge replicator only to find a man in a black uniform waiting for her?

She had hidden that from Gabriel. The conversation they had had while her husband and two daughters slept peacefully. She wondered if she would ever be free of their manipulations.

She sighed softly, resting her forehead ridges on the cool transparasteel. "I wish there was a way out," she murmured.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

How could she tell him?  Tell him about the night when she had woken up from a nightmare and slipped out of bed to get a cup of soothing tea from the lounge replicator only to find a man in a black uniform waiting for her?

She had hidden that from Gabriel.  The conversation they had had while her husband and two daughters slept peacefully.  She wondered if she would ever be free of their manipulations.

She sighed softly, resting her forehead ridges on the cool transparasteel.  "I wish there was a way out," she murmured.

Gabriel couldn't help but wonder what all of this was about. Oh, granted, on the surface, it seemed fairly easy and straightforward - she was upset about all the recent events in their lives, and was having second thoughts about taking this position. He could understand that, definitely...he'd had second thoughts himself. And third. And fourth.

It seemed like it had been a long time since he'd felt like his wife was a million kilometers away from him, even when she stood right at his side. It was a feeling that he hadn't missed, but knew it would have to come back at some point. He just hoped that it wouldn't be this soon. "It...it's not too late, Arch," he said, resting a hand on her back. "We've not left, and won't for a bit. Time enough for Starfleet to assign a new staff. We can still walk away from this."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabriel couldn't help but wonder what all of this was about.  Oh, granted, on the surface, it seemed fairly easy and straightforward - she was upset about all the recent events in their lives, and was having second thoughts about taking this position.  He could understand that, definitely...he'd had second thoughts himself.  And third.  And fourth.

It seemed like it had been a long time since he'd felt like his wife was a million kilometers away from him, even when she stood right at his side.  It was a feeling that he hadn't missed, but knew it would have to come back at some point.  He just hoped that it wouldn't be this soon.  "It...it's not too late, Arch," he said, resting a hand on her back.  "We've not left, and won't for a bit.  Time enough for Starfleet to assign a new staff.  We can still walk away from this."

She could feel the gentle pressure of his hand on the small of her back and turned her head slightly to look at him out of the corner of her eye. Now, more than ever before, Archangel wished what he was saying was true.

She closed her eyes, leaning her head back against the window. She suddenly felt drained. Exhausted. Starfleet wanted her to take command of the Phoenix. Intelligence wanted her to maintain her links with the Star Empire. Section 31 wanted her as a puppet in the Star Empire. And to top it all off, the Star Empire were making noises about her leaving Starfleet to enter their ranks.

"I wish I could."

Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

She could feel the gentle pressure of his hand on the small of her back and turned her head slightly to look at him out of the corner of her eye.  Now, more than ever before, Archangel wished what he was saying was true.  

She closed her eyes, leaning her head back against the window.  She suddenly felt drained.  Exhausted.  Starfleet wanted her to take command of the Phoenix.  Intelligence wanted her to maintain her links with the Star Empire.  Section 31 wanted her as a puppet in the Star Empire.  And to top it all off, the Star Empire were making noises about her leaving Starfleet to enter their ranks.

"I wish I could."

"Why not?" Gabriel asked, shaking his head.  "Arch, if you don't want to do this, now is the time to say so.  I don't need to tell you that you have my full support, no matter what...but I'm going to tell you anyway.  We can still get out of this.  We can still go the hell home.  We can...and god damn it," he said, his voice low, quiet, and intense, so that the girls wouldn't hear it, "...would you please turn around and look at me!"

Gabriel suddenly became very quiet.  Something clicked in his skull about what she'd said.  About how she wished she could get out.  "They...they've come to you, haven't they?  Someone's said something.  One of them."

Retired
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Why not?" Gabriel asked, shaking his head.  "Arch, if you don't want to do this, now is the time to say so.  I don't need to tell you that you have my full support, no matter what...but I'm going to tell you anyway.  We can still get out of this.  We can still go the hell home.  We can...and god damn it," he said, his voice low, quiet, and intense, so that the girls wouldn't hear it, "...would you please turn around and look at me!"

Gabriel suddenly became very quiet.  Something clicked in his skull about what she'd said.  About how she wished she could get out.  "They...they've come to you, haven't they?  Someone's said something.  One of them."

It was hard to turn and look at Gabriel, to look at him knowing that he had just put his finger on the point that she had been hiding from him. She knew about his dislike for anything to do with the Intelligence services and the Star Empire.

She rubbed her right forearm, the one where a subdermal implant had been wired into her nervous system by Section 31. She met Gabriel's gaze briefly, then looked down and to the side, a classic sign of discomfort.

"Yes."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:11 pm

[Starbase Athena - Science Lab Two]

"Science Officer's Log, stardate 30830.5, Exchange Officer Raynor Hughes reporting.  I have received an interesting delivery from one of our long-range botany expeditions, from deep within the Beta Quadrant.  The planetoid in question is not far from the border of Romulan space, so it is no surprise that this gem of a plant has been kept heretofore unknown to us.  

The peduncle of this particular variety is thick and covered with slight, filamentous fibers, leading to a pod attachment of the receptacle, comprised of thick sepal of a mottled, green-and-mauve color.  It --"

Raynor paused in his log, turning his full attention to the plant before him.  He could have sworn that it had made a noise.  "Computer...freeze log."  The Klingon cocked a pronounced eyebrow, getting down low to examine the flower, and listen.  Had it been his imagination?  "Must've been," he muttered, shrugging.  "Computer, resume --"

Suddenly, the large pod of the mysterious flower opened, emitting a shrill sound that seemed to go right for the animal part of Raynor's brain.  "baQa'!" he yelled, and at that exact instant, the pod expelled a massive cloud of spores, taking the Klingon directly into the face.  Stumbling backward, Raynor let out a roar-like snarl, brushing at his face as if it were on fire.  "C...computer..." he attempted to say.  "Enact...enact..."  

Unfortunately, he could not finish his request to enact an emergency holding field, as he slowly sank to his knees, watching in fascination as a cascading, seemingly-inordinate amount of spores poured from the opened pod.  By the time they stopped emitting from the flower, Raynor Hughes was oblivious to the world, knocked entirely out and lying on the ground.

All the while, the spores filtered through the station ventilation system.

Click the ID card for full bio!

Retired[/i]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum   Today at 6:48 am

Back to top Go down

Mission 1 - Reductio ad Absurdum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: Starbase Athena :: Archives :: Mission Archives-
Jump to: